pre-existing shed needs a floor

fivefootmenaceJune 2, 2010

I'm new to this house and there was a pre-existing shed in the backyard. For whatever reason there was styrofoam placed on the ground and particle board thrown over top of the styrofoam. Well, long story short the floor is completely rotted and there is gross dirty moldy styrfoam everywhere...What is the best way to get a functional floor in there? I tried to google solutions but everything I find is about creating a floor for a new shed...

I hope someone can help...thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hendricus

Concrete. We poured a new floor in the garage and the excess was wheelbarrowed out back into the shed. About two inches or a little more would be good. You can get some bags of concrete (Sakcrete), mix in your wheelbarrow and dump into place. Ours was just dumped and rough leveled, no troweling, and makes a very clean floor.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 11:03PM
hoop_buildings

It sounds like you may have water issue. As a result, I would try to get the shed up off of the ground to prevent future issues.

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 9:58PM
measure_twice

There is a post for free shed plans. Look how those builders created floors.

Water is the problem. Let water vapor move or completely stop it.

Concrete stops most of it. The gaps in the shed will allow the dampness to evaporate.

Gravel is also a good shed surface - it is not too objectionable to walk on or park a tractor on, and it allows moisture in and out.

Or, you can put skids down which are lengths of 4x4, attach plywood to the skids, then lift the shed onto that. The skids will provide air circulation and slow mold growth.

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 12:34AM
earthworm

Concrete is the way to go, I'd try to elevate the shed, keeping it a dry as possible.
The wood should not touch the soil, a foot higher may suffice. And only pressure treated wood contacting the concrete.

A tall shed can look really nice

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 2:57PM
More Discussions
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™