New garage door opener

green445June 9, 2009

I'm not happy with my garage door opener, and would like to replace it. Is there any opener that stands out as the best, or is it a matter of opinion? I'm not saying that money is no object, but I am willing to spend more for something I'll appreciate and lasts. I use that door many times a day.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

I would go with Liftmaster and if noise is a factor I would get the belt drive. No opener is 100% trouble free and they all are susceptible to lightning and voltage surges. If yours is working I would use it until it dies.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 4:41PM
ventuje

What about Martin brand, who makes the most reliable and powerful?

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 7:00PM
green445

I'm on my second idrive in about four years, and it does not close the door some times. The door stops, reverses and opens. The resistance is in the idrive itself, the door moves freely. I have had enough watching the door to see if it closed, and getting out of my truck to help it close. It has already killed my patience.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 7:34PM
don_1_2006

The Idrive has the worst reputation of anything on the market. The manufacturer just doesn't seem to care.

Martin doesn't make door openers. It is made by someone else and they put Martins name on it. Most likely Chamberlain Mfg. Co. who also makes Liftmaster and Sears.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 4:30PM
green445

I thought I just had a bad unit, but my replacement is no better. I want a one from a manufacturer that does seem to care. I want to be able to push the button and drive down the driveway knowing it will close.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 9:33PM
don_1_2006

Liftmaster is the way to go. But any manufacturer worth his salt will tell you to sit and wait until you see the door close and stop. It's to big, too heavy and too dangerous otherwise.

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 4:51PM
paxsonfla

I have a Craftsmen 1/2 hp opener. Worked fine til recently. I can open it using the wall button, but neither remote won't close it til the unit light goes out (about 5 minutes). When I return, neither remote will open the door. I have to go into the house and use the wall button to open it. Any suggestions?

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 1:50PM
don_1_2006

On the rear of the motor unit just to the left of all those white wires is a small LED. Check to see if it is flashing. Random flashing is normal but rapid flashing indicates interference. If it is flashing rapidly when the light is on remove the bulb and see if it stops. You may have a bad logic board causing these problems.

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Sponsored Products
Alexandria White Motion Sensor Outdoor Wall Light
$59.91 | Lamps Plus
Suncast 225 ft. Hose Reel Cart - HRC200
$54.98 | Hayneedle
Barbosa 15" High Bronze Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Sandusky 66 in. Five Tier Locker - LF55151866-01
$356.99 | Hayneedle
Westinghouse Wall Mounted 1-Light Rust on Cast Aluminum Exterior Wall Lantern
$74.10 | Home Depot