Workshop Window Covers

wxman5June 25, 2011

My shop has several large windows that slide open for ventilation. I put mini blinds over them for security and to block out the sun, especially this time of year. They're are always dirty and tend to gum up with dust, sawdust, and grime.

My blinds are starting to disintegrate with age and I was wondering if I should put the same type in, again. These lasted about 10 years.

Any suggestions on alternatives or at least how to clean them? We like the looks of blinds, but they are a mess.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

Ten years out of a set of mini-blinds sounds pretty good to me but I do understand the hassle keeping them clean in a workshop environment. Maybe some kind of curtain that could be laundered would be a better idea???

As for cleaning mini-blinds my method is a bit odd but I've had good luck with it. I'd only use it on blinds with metal or plastic slats. You'll need a warm, sunny day with low humidity and a breeze. Also some place outdoors to hang up the blinds while you clean them (like a fence or the railing of a deck). Get a pump-up type sprayer and a gallon of degreaser. Mix up the degreaser according to the directions in the sprayer. Spray down the blinds with degreaser, which should cause the dirt just to run off. Then rinse well with a hose. Allow to dry in the sun (you may want to give them a bit of a "shake" to get off the excess water).

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 6:22AM
wxman5

Thanks, Mike. Yeah, I'm probably being kind of cheap hoping inexpensive blinds would last more than 10 years. As for your cleaning method, do the strings hold up very well getting wet like that?

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 3:27PM
mike_kaiser_gw

The strings aren't the problem, you don't want the mechanism to rust. That's why you need a warm, breezy day so that the water can evaporate before it causes problems.

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 11:50PM
More Discussions
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™