Is wire brushed hardwood just a trend?

oliversmumMay 13, 2014

We are trying to decide between Mullican Muirfield Natural/Select hickory solid flooring or the stained Williamsburg wire brushed option. I understand that wire brushed floors have already had the 'soft' wood removed so I'm curious about refinishing them. I believe w/ sanding, they'll lose some/all of the texture, but I saw on ask.com that they can't be refinished as often or as easily. Anyone have experience w/ this?

Secondly, I'm not a fan at all of the supposedly handscraped floors out there because they all look very uniform to me. Would wire brush look the same when installed over 400 square feet of space?

Lastly, anyone have any opinions about wire brushing as just one of the latest trends? I've seen more about wire brush finishes (and oil finishes) than I've ever seen before. It seems like it could just be popular because it's something different just now, but hasn't really been tested (at least in pre-finished versions) over time.

I welcome any and all opinions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

Everything is a trend. Especially when you pick something "fashionable". 2 1/2" strip oak isn't a trend, and it's never gone away either.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 2:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

Wire brushing is fine the way I look at it, especially if the house's architectural design works well with brushed wood. Handscaped however is another matter entirely; few factory produced SKUs look authentic...with the majority looking mostly phony... In my humble opinion.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
What is the size of your longest hardwood floor boards?
What ranges are the sizes of your hard wood floor boards...
tlbean2004
farm house Floors
Hello everyone. I live in a old farmhouse in new england....
jennybog
wood floor finish (am I being too picky)
We recently had our wood floors refinished with the...
Jennifer White Green
Black Walnut Grades
Hi all! Could someone tell me if these two pictures...
luciole
has anyone put down oiled wood floors?
i fell in love with floors by a company called DuChateau....
Bridget Helm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™