Hardwood near garage entry to house?

gayledMay 31, 2011

We are in the midst of a new build which is spec'd for red oak throughout the 1st floor including the entry to the house from the garage. It's a small area but I'm concerned about wear and tear. Tile would be a much better choice, but aesthetically it's not working for me. The laundry room is adjacent to this area and I will have to put tile in there. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use that would blend well with the hardwood? I find it jarring to the eye to see different flooring materials - not sure how to deal with this.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
attofarad

I'm doing a massive remodel. The door from my garage/shop will open into an exercise room, with adjacent laundry room. I'm putting cork in the exercise room. I think I will just put a rug at the bottom of the shop stairs, and a second rug on the landing at the top of the stairs, and just be regular about beating/vacuuming them to keep grit from tracking in. It that isn't enough, I just will not wear shoes in the house, or do as we do at our mountain home and brush the shoe bottoms before entering.

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 10:24PM
jgs7691

@gayled-- what did you ultimately decide to do? We are having hardwood installed in a kitchen and adjacent powder room, and was planning on it for a back hall between the garage and the kitchen.

Today I realized that I had inadvertently failed to spec floor coverage for the back hall, so we need to add flooring for the back hall to the work to be done. It's not a large space but will be graced by the presence of many teenage boys and two beagles, so I am now toying with the idea of a small area of tile in that back hallway. Wondering if you did something different on the adjacent floors you descibred in your home.

Thanks!

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 10:44PM
gayled

jgs7691 - I'm sticking with the hardwood. I can't find anything else that will work. This is an entry to the house that only my husband and I and our two dogs will use. It's a small area that leads to the laundry room (which will be tile) a larger foyer area with two closets and the master bedroom. It will look like a crossword puzzle if I use different flooring. We're in New England so during the messy weather we're going to have to leave our shoes in the garage - very cold piggies! I'll also use a runner/throw rug and hope for the best.

Your beagles probably won't be a problem, I'd be more worried about teenage boys. :)

Good Luck

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 8:01AM
More Discussions
Water-based finish over dark stained floors?
Hi all, Folks are about to start flooring work on my...
afrochic2
Tile over fiberglass?
Long story short, we added some porches to our new...
Nick Anderson
Color/species of new wood floor next to original VG Fir?
Our 1918 house was added on to in the 80's and rather...
fjernsyn
Is it a bad idea to use pebble tiles in the kitchen?
I am wondering if pebble tiles work ok in the kitchen...
sherry0117
Floor sanding/screening question
I just purchased my first home and decided to get the...
berlinswing
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™