Hardwood near garage entry to house?

momtoollieMay 31, 2011

We are in the midst of a new build which is spec'd for red oak throughout the 1st floor including the entry to the house from the garage. It's a small area but I'm concerned about wear and tear. Tile would be a much better choice, but aesthetically it's not working for me. The laundry room is adjacent to this area and I will have to put tile in there. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use that would blend well with the hardwood? I find it jarring to the eye to see different flooring materials - not sure how to deal with this.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
attofarad

I'm doing a massive remodel. The door from my garage/shop will open into an exercise room, with adjacent laundry room. I'm putting cork in the exercise room. I think I will just put a rug at the bottom of the shop stairs, and a second rug on the landing at the top of the stairs, and just be regular about beating/vacuuming them to keep grit from tracking in. It that isn't enough, I just will not wear shoes in the house, or do as we do at our mountain home and brush the shoe bottoms before entering.

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 10:24PM
jgs7691

@gayled-- what did you ultimately decide to do? We are having hardwood installed in a kitchen and adjacent powder room, and was planning on it for a back hall between the garage and the kitchen.

Today I realized that I had inadvertently failed to spec floor coverage for the back hall, so we need to add flooring for the back hall to the work to be done. It's not a large space but will be graced by the presence of many teenage boys and two beagles, so I am now toying with the idea of a small area of tile in that back hallway. Wondering if you did something different on the adjacent floors you descibred in your home.

Thanks!

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 10:44PM
momtoollie

jgs7691 - I'm sticking with the hardwood. I can't find anything else that will work. This is an entry to the house that only my husband and I and our two dogs will use. It's a small area that leads to the laundry room (which will be tile) a larger foyer area with two closets and the master bedroom. It will look like a crossword puzzle if I use different flooring. We're in New England so during the messy weather we're going to have to leave our shoes in the garage - very cold piggies! I'll also use a runner/throw rug and hope for the best.

Your beagles probably won't be a problem, I'd be more worried about teenage boys. :)

Good Luck

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 8:01AM
More Discussions
Experiences with vinyl flooring
Hello, I was wondering individuals experiences with...
einajr
Install carpet over laminate flooring?
I am buying a house that has laminate wood flooring...
rlb4
3/8 vs 1/2 inch thick engineered hardwood for staple down installation
We are trying to decide between two similar engineered...
chellefnp
Reviews : Brazilian direct - http://www.brazilianhardwood.com/ -
Did any one purchase solid hardwood from Brazilian...
luxman
Cerameta Luxury Flooring - Vinyl Plank
Has anyone used/installed a Cerameta floating floor?...
emlach
Sponsored Products
Blue School Uniform Personalized Note Pad
$17.99 | zulily
Zolder Outdoor Wall Sconce by Kichler
$135.30 | Lumens
Set of White Porcelain Foo Dogs
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Leaf Ceiling Fan by Fanimation Fans
$699.00 | Lumens
Oceanstar 3-tier Steel Heavy-duty All-purpose Utility Cart
Overstock.com