Half and half

mudlady_gwFebruary 9, 2012

I am really getting old--I bought a half gallon of half and half today and when I was putting things into the fridge I found I had already bought half and half. It is "super pasteurized" but the only thing I do with H&H is use a little in coffee, and I rarely drink more than one cup per day. I have made cream soup with H&H, and I will probably do that to use some of it, but my cholesterol is rreally too high to indulge in H&H except for the very small amount I put in coffee. I called my daughter in law and asked if she needed any and she said that my son had just pulled into their drive after doing the shopping and they couldn't use a double quantity. Can H&H be frozen?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
publickman

You can make ice cream with it, and then it will be frozen. If you do decide to freeze it as is, be sure to divide it into smaller amounts. I would not hesitate to freeze it as is, but you can expect ice crystals if you do not make it into ice cream. The crystals shouldn't hurt if you plan to use it in coffee.

Lars

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 7:53PM
pris

I googled to find out the answer to this question. (a couple of weeks ago) The answer was that milk can be frozen but not half & half or whipping cream. Has to do with the fat content. I didn't test it out though so you might try freezing a small amount, a cup or so, and see what happens. Be sure and thaw in the fridge rather than on the counter.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 8:16PM
laceyvail

I froze half and half recently when a friend brought over a quart. Came out fine, though some milk had settled out on the bottom. Otherwise, creamy and excellent.

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 6:37AM
lindac

Cream sure can be frozen....just shake it up after it thaws. And after freezing it will spoil more quickly....so plan recipes to use it up.

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 9:43AM
publickman

I've frozen whipping cream in a carton before, and it was fine for use when I defrosted it and was good for the several days that it took us to use it up.

Lars

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 11:37AM
Rusty

Certainly conflicting information here.
So I will add my experience to the mix.

I have frozen milk before,
It separated out quite a bit,
But was fine after I shook it up real good.

But when I froze cream
(heavy whipping cream)
It was completely separated when thawed,
Like curdles in whey.
I couldn't get it to emulsify at all,
So I pitched it.

So now I'm wondering why the different reactions
for different people.

Personally, I'm inclined to go along with Pris'
Googled answer.

Rusty

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 12:21PM
mudlady_gw

I guess I will freeze it and see what I get when I defrost it. I can't find anyone to give it to so if it is usable after I defrost it I will not have lost more than $4.

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 12:28PM
noinwi

What are the 'use by' dates on the cartons? You should be able to keep it in the fridge unopened for quite a while. I can buy two quarts of heavy whipping cream and have them last about 3 weeks, probably longer if I didn't use them up(we eat lower carb). I've never had them go bad before using them up in that time. I've tried freezing cream but have had it curdle like Rusty has. It might depend on any additives or stabilizers in some brands?

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 1:03PM
publickman

You could freeze a small amount first as a test before freezing all of it. It will certainly keep if you make it into ice cream, which I think would require a bit more cream. Freezing it in an ice cream maker might be the best way to go. Ice cream does not need to have that many ingredients.

Lars

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 3:15PM
lindac

Cream sure can be frozen....just shake it up after it thaws. And after freezing it will spoil more quickly....so plan recipes to use it up.

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 11:00PM
klseiverd

Not H&H specifically, but on freezing milk products.

When first married, FIL was head custonian at local elementary school. I'd get a call most Fridays to come get milk. Seems no matter WHAT the date was on carton (even if T or W of following week), he was told he HAD to throw them all out at the end of the week?? I often had several frozen half pints of milk. Key was to let them thaw completely and shake up well... they were always fine.

Bought buttermilk for some recipe... only needed maybe a cup and quart was smallest container. I thought I'd try to freeze the rest. When I thawed it, it was all separated, so I tossed it. Later found out that a quick spin with a mixer or in blender would have made it come back.

If I'm not mistaken, the more fat content in a milk product... the longer it lasts?? Not 2 hours ago, cut into a block of cream cheese... don't even wanna say how far past date it was... and it was perfectly OK.

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 11:14PM
pris

There were so many opposing answers I decided to do a little test. I put about a cup of 1/2 & 1/2 in a half pint mason jar and froze it. Took it out about 24 hrs later and put it in the fridge to thaw. Took it out yesterday and checked it. It had little beads of fat suspended in it. I shook and shook to know avail. Still little beads of fat. Put some in my coffee and it looked like curdled milk. The fat beads did not dissolve. I shook and shook some more and still the same results. But, there again, I don't know how long and hard those of you who used this method shook yours. I put it back in the fridge and pondered on it for awhile. So, before I decided to give up completely, I tried this. I took out my stick blender and gave it three or four pulses and lo and behold, no fat beads. I wasn't sure it would last so I put it back in the fridge and took it out just now. Still no fat beads so I added it to my afternoon coffee and am now sitting here enjoying a cup.

So, go ahead and freeze it. Just thaw in the fridge and use your blender to re-incorporate it. Good to go.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 4:47PM
lindac

Way back when we used a hand cranked egg beater....

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 5:18PM
pris

Linda, have you seen one in recent years? My mother had one but haven't seen an egg beater in a loooong time. That would probably work too.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 5:24PM
bulldinkie

I take a drink occasionally thats what they told my dad to drink he had ulcers,when my stomach isnt feelin right I take a sip,coats the stomach.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 5:55PM
lindac

The thoughts on ulcer diets are very VERY different these days. Fats increase acid production rather than coat the stomach.
I still have an old hand cranked beater in my "stuff" drawer......and 2 or 3 more in the box of antique kitchen ware in the basement. I have one with 2 flat discs which rotate parallel to the bottom of the bowl, my MIL gave it to me.....she says nothing whips cream like that does....and she's right but it's he!! to wash!!
Way back when, when milk and cream was left at the door, often to freeze, I learned to shake it up really well and all would be fine.....even when it "had a hat" from freezing.
Linda C

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
Happy Birthday Nancy/wizardnm
A little bird just told me that today is your birthday,...
annie1992
What's For Dinner #337
Annie, you and Elery are doing a wonderful job on the...
ann_t
Why can't they leave things alone?
I really don't have the time nor the energy to learn...
doucanoe
Big Weekend Ahead
Hi everyone, I'll be making Crab Stuffed Mushrooms...
moonwolf_gw
Once it was so easy..............................
To find whatever one wanted quickly. Now everything...
Robert Givens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™