Quich hlep needed, contractor put red oak next to white oak

zzttMay 17, 2012

I just realized my general contractor put new red oak new to my existing white oak floor. Now I do not know how to refinish it and make it match.

After talking to a few flooring people, some suggested me to sand the whole thing and stain all in one color. What be will a good DuraSeal stain color that can minimize the color difference? I prefer a warm medium brownish color. Yet I was told darker color might work better.

Or I should have the flooring contractor adjust different stain colors to even the two different oaks?

Does anyone have experience with similar issue and what is your solution? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gregmills_gw

Ive faced that issue a couple of times. Trying to stain one species to match the other is impossible. Well too hard to deal with. A medium brown color will help cut down on the obvious difference. And darker will help even more. If you dont want to stain. Tell your GC to rip it up and lay the correct wood. Its his stupid mistake and dont let him con you into paying the difference.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 5:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

I agree with gregmills. I have encountered this also. A professional custom floor finisher can get them close, but just that. You cannot change the basic color of the materials, nor disguise the difference in grain appearance.

Darker may help cover the mistake, but you have to decide if that is acceptable. If you decide to try that...then ask that a side by side sampling be done to get an idea of what the two species might look like after staining...before you agree to that.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 6:01PM
More Discussions
DIY Stained Concrete
We are planning on doing the stained concrete ourselves...
DogwoodAcres
Tile over fiberglass?
Long story short, we added some porches to our new...
Nick Anderson
I need help on how to get cat urine odor out of concrete?
We had a cat that was 24 years old and the last year...
lindadianne
Difference visually between 1/8 and 3/16 grout joints?
We're thinking 1/8 but the installer is suggesting...
joep_2009
Suggestions for Beach House Flooring
Building a 2500 SF house and 500 SF carriage house...
cobbyw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™