Garage Doors - Replace ?

dug22June 16, 2010

I have a 2 car garage in my home that was built in 1976. The garage doors are still the originals and are made of wood. I have noticed that the rollers (steel) wobble badly and probably need replaced. I have thought about getting new doors but I have seen some really cheap replacements which look like aluminum foil over foam that dent easily. I have check out web sites for Wayne Dalton and others and have noticed that the better doors are made of wood. My current wood doors are still in decent shape.

Can I just replace the hardware ? If yes, which hardware should I replace ? Where can I get it ? Is this a difficult job ? Or, should I just replace everything, doors included ?

I would apppreciate any suggestions. Thanks !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

If the doors are in good shape, why bother to replace them. Most home centers sell replacement hardware. Or try an overhead door company in your area or the Internet.

Just replace the rollers and brackets one at a time.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 7:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creek_side

"I have check out web sites for Wayne Dalton and others and have noticed that the better doors are made of wood."

Wood doors are generally higher priced because they are more expensive to make. That doesn't make them necessarily better. The higher cost keeps them out of the low-end market, so the door manufacturers tend to make only high-end wood doors.

Quality doors can be also purchased in steel and fiberglass.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 7:23AM
More Discussions
Craftsman Garage Opener Clicks only and LED blinking 5 times
My 1/2 HP Model 139.53641SRT opener clicks to all my...
nosleep
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
Mountain of leaves on my driveway
So I acquired a huge pile of leaves that I used for...
bibbus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™