New Asbestos Tile Question thread

DIYer.GuyMay 24, 2012

I have a 50's house that has the entire first floor with 9x9 VAT (15% chrysotile) tiles over a slab. The tiles pop up very easy and can be removed carefully without breaking them. The black cut back adhesive has 3% asbestos.

Originally, We planned to remove tile and adhesive and grind the concrete down to prepare it for concrete stain. But after discovering the asbestos, our plan has changed. Also, the black cutback penatrates and stains the slab to the point where grinding won't remove the appearance of the tile lines completely. I call it "ghosting" And that doesn't look good with a stained concrete floor.

Now we plan to use an epoxy paint to cover the old demons....but I need it smooth and texture free first.

Although we probably won't be grinding the slab now - is there a way to use solvent to remove the surface adhesive completely and safely? which product?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nerdyshopper

Flooring adhesives vary so I'm not reallysure which your house used (I'm a do-it yourselfer). Way back the stuff I used had denatured alcohol as a solvent. It is flamable and stinks so if yuo try a small can be sure to ventillate well. One tile is all the area you need to test it and a quart can is probably the minimum size.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 8:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

I would not recommend a chemical remover...all you may do is force the adhesive residue deeper into the concrete.

The ARDEX company sells products designed as decorative toppings for concrete slabs. Maybe you want to research that. However, those products may not be suitable to DIY.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
EZ Lay Vinyl Plank Reviews?
We are looking at installing the Tiramisu EZ Lay Vinyl...
kyorkston
Experiences with vinyl flooring
Hello, I was wondering individuals experiences with...
einajr
Brazilian Cherry with infloor heat, rug or no rug
We just got our in floor heat installed in the sunroom. Hoping...
sewwhatsnew
Travertine Flooring
Trying to find out more info on Travertine flooring....
dqubti
Where can I find some replacement Haddon Hall parquet tiles?
I've been searching the Internets for a particular...
qacer
Sponsored Products
Tile Edging: Schluter Flooring Schiene Stainless Steel 3/4 in. x 8 ft. 2 in.
$48.05 | Home Depot
Martha Stewart Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Martha Stewart Living Rugs Martha
Home Depot
Thirstystone Frieze Motif Travertine Drink Coaster Set
Overstock.com
Plantation Row Light - Three Lights
Signature Hardware
Aquatic Ocean Blue French Pattern Glass Tiles
$12.99 | TileBar
Minka Chrome Mosaic 16" Wide Ceiling Light Fixture
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™