Garage door opener problem

ttownJune 15, 2011

I recently replaced the center shaft/main gear and sprocket on my Sears 1/2 hp opener. Now it will not complete one cycle when I push the button. I have adjusted up/down force and up/down travel to no avail. The trolly only travels 4-5 inches, stops and reverses itself. It was working properly before I madde the repairs. Please help as I cannot afford a new opener.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

Did you reinstall the chain with the trolley in the correct position?
I'd operate the GDO without the chain attached, observe the direction that the chain-drive cog turns and reinstall the chain accordingly.
This is the same process as when installing a new GDO.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 10:24AM
ttown

I tried that, too. Even with the chain uninstalled, the trolly only moves 4-5 inches and then reverses. I'm stumped.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 1:23PM
don_1_2006

Make sure you put the black cup back on the end of the motor shaft and that it is pressed all the way on. Make sure the RPM sensor is plugged in. If neither of these are the issue, then you probably did not have the motor shaft pushed all the way back when you tightened the coupler after replacing the worm gear. Loosen that coupler up and from the front of the motor (opposite end in which the coupler is on) push the shaft back as far as it will go. Hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up and then try it.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 6:23PM
ttown

GARAGE OPENER FIXED!! Thanks for all the help. Without it I would not have found the problem. When I replaced the gears I had (stupidly) removed the up/down limiter and got it all out of whack. Once I realized what was going on I was able to adjust that and, along with readjusting the up/down travel and the up/down force, it is now working as well as a 12 year old opening can. Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
Shop vacuum
Are there any good 12 -15 amp shop vacs that have 1200-1500...
randalls1
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™