Aggregate flooring and tiling over

SusieG123April 13, 2014

We live in California where pebbletec (aggregate) is actually used indoors. I have it in my hallway, bath and laundry rooms. We had it installed about 7 or so years ago and now I am tired of it. It's installed on a cement foundation/floor. I want to install porcelain tiles over it. My installer says no problem as long as I have it cleaned and then he will check for loose rocks and cracks. Does anyone agree/disagree or have any experience with this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snookums2

I will be interested in hearing about this, but how do you keep a floor like that clean?

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 6:47AM
live_wire_oak

Not familiar with that. Is it cement based or resin based? If the former, and it's adhering well, I don't see a problem with putting tile over it, as long as you are OK with redoing your baseboard trim. It will add about 3/4" height if you go with 3/8 tile and 3/8 thinset.. That's assuming that the floor is level.

If it's epoxy based, I'd have a lot more concerns about the thinset adhering to it. I'd probably want it removed first.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 9:36AM
SusieG123

I believe it's resin/epoxy based. I don't really know if the installer has put tile over pebbletec before. He seems to thinks it's no big deal. And he talks like he's done it before. I'll have to ask him. It's much too expensive to have it removed. And much too hard to remove it ourselves. I just don't want it coming apart later on down the road.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 3:56AM
glennsfc

A good tile person will know if the substrate is OK to install porcelain over. If the aggregate flooring is resilient, I would worry about that some and would investigate that with experts.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 9:55AM
snookums2

Since it can be hard to know if you've got a knowledgeable/skilled enough tile man, check over on john bridge tile forums which is a pro-based and run site. At least one pro will address your issue and they are well-studied and experienced sticklers about their trade. They don't take chances with installs. What an expensive mess this one would be if it fails. And they do.

Please report back if you do so this thread is complete.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 19:35

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
Need help: c.1997 Hartco Pattern Plus 5000
Hello to anyone reading, and thanks. I have Hartco...
speaktodeek
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
Smartstrand carpet dilema
I am replacing the carpet in my family room and after...
sharon_va
Ceramic wood tile into sunken living room?
Getting ready to remodel a house I am purchasing. Would...
m323
Matte or shiny hardwood floors...what's your preference?
We are going to sand and refinish our floors. What...
jtaime2
Sponsored Products
Metallic Cell Shade Pendant Lighting
ParrotUncle
Audra Mirror - ATQGLD
$495.00 | Horchow
Austin Tea Leaf Neutral Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Estiluz | P-1129 Floor Lamp
$955.00 | YLighting
Safavieh Handmade Rodeo Drive Deco Brown N.Z. Wool Rug (7'6 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
Lime & Beige Geometric Floor Rug
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
Katherine Elizabeth Lucky Dog Bed Dog Bed
$269.00 | FRONTGATE
Kalon Lumalight Pendant by Interfold
$192.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™