Added new refrigerator cabinet, now how to tile?

marti8aApril 14, 2012

The existing tile does not go under the original cabinets. So we removed the tile before installing the refrigerator cabinets. It is deeper than the base cabinets beside it, so a few inches will have tile on both sides of the cabinet. Should we cut and piece around both sides, or cut the bottom of the cabinet a few inches and slide a tile under it?

When our wood floor was installed, they cut off the bottoms of all the door trim and even cut out the bottom of the brick around the fireplace and slid the wood under it. It looks much better that way.

Cutting the cabinet isn't a problem, but I don't know how to slide a tile under there without messing up the thinset. How do you do that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

The floor actually should always go in first in any reno, followed by the cabinets. Or, if flooring decisions leave it until last, plywood the thickness of the finished floor should be installed under the cabinets so you don't run into trapping the DW or height issues with the refrigerator or range.

Since that didn't happen here, the finished floor should always go all the way through the appliance alcoves. You just cut the tile to fit around it. Install the tile all the way under the fridge, DW, and range. It will be a lot more cutting, and you may run into issues with clearances for the appliances.

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 11:25AM
More Discussions
Anyone heard of Republic Flooring?
Hello All, I am trying to redo the floors in my house...
EmanuelDIY
Ceramic wood tile into sunken living room?
Getting ready to remodel a house I am purchasing. Would...
m323
Cerameta Luxury Flooring - Vinyl Plank
Has anyone used/installed a Cerameta floating floor?...
emlach
No hardwood warranty from HOM Furniture store - midwest
So after falling in love with Birch engineered floor...
Maryna
Reviews : Brazilian direct - http://www.brazilianhardwood.com/ -
Did any one purchase solid hardwood from Brazilian...
luxman
Sponsored Products
Juno Pro-Series 9 in. Brushed Bronze UnderCabinet LED Lighting with Dimming Capa
$90.97 | Home Depot
JSG Oceana Bathroom Cambridge 27.5 in. Vanity in Oak with Granite Vanity Top in
Home Depot
Stone Harbor Table and Laguna Arm Chair 7-piece Dining Set
Overstock.com
Dawson Stainless Steel Double Door Medicine Cabinet with Mirror
Signature Hardware
Catalina CAT11 Blue Rectangular: 2 Ft. x 3 Ft. Rug
$62.10 | Bellacor
Furniture of America Ziesta Cabinet and Hanging Shelves
Overstock.com
pl905-18 Offset Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink
PLFixtures
Hammary Dorset Entertainment Center - Black with Natural Rub Through/Pretzel Bro
Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™