Corrected-new construction garage-need creative ideas

thebearsfamilyMay 25, 2006

We have a 100 year old yellow brick house with no off street parking. Very close to the houses on either side. Front porch is wood and in poor shape full length of the house.We are doing alot of renovations inside the house and would like to dig out the front hiilside to put in a garage. We want to have an entrance into the basement from the garage. The questions I have are 1) how can we connect the basement, which is going to be higher, to the garage? and 2) what kind of creative thing can we do for the garage door? I hate the look of the average garage door and it will be a major focus of attention with our narrow lot, We will get an architect to draw up plans but I know you guys will come up with some other suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
higgins

There are a number of upscale garage door manufactures that manufacture upscale grade doors. Door are the traditional overhead, swing, or sliding types, and can be made of several types of materials i.e. solid wood (cedar, mahogony cypress), fiberglass and steel. And range in styles from clasic, to victorian, to contempory. Price ranges from $2,000 upwards of $7,000 for a 7 x 16 door.

Now if you REALLY do not want to see the grage door, there is a company that builds a door unit that will blend in with your surounding house siding. They can even mount a door or window in this unit!! When you look at one of these units, you can not tell your looking at a garage door. The only give a way is the cement driveway that leads to what looks like the front or side of the house! Great concept! Workmanship was outstanding, however I understand they are extremely expensive!

Regards!

Bookmark   May 25, 2006 at 8:38PM
More Discussions
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
Keyless lock for manual garage door?
I have a two car garage with separate manual lift garage...
mrpandy
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
Sponsored Products
Grand Eclair 2 Drawer Nightstand - Brown Cherry - IDF-7986N
$489.99 | Hayneedle
Simple Living Cherry Easton Cross-back Chair
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Martinic Red 2' x 3'
Home Depot
Set of 2 Eames Style DSW Molded Light Blue Plastic Bar Stool with Wood Eiffel Le
eModern Decor
Koncept Gen 3 Equo Daylight LED Orange Desk Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
Beach Trip Sporting Dog Mat - 24" x 36"
Grandin Road
Chrome Overhead 8 Diameter Round Ceiling Mounted Shower Head
Hudson Reed
Sausalito 14" High Silver-Gold Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™