Insulating Garage Ceiling

kendog2May 23, 2009

We live in Southern CA and have a two-car attached garage. The ceiling is dry-walled but not insulated. We use the space above the garage for storage. I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to add insulation in the ceiling. Would it make a difference in the temperature in the garage even if the garage door isn't insulated? I am not sure if the walls have insulattion.

I have blow-in and fiberglass R-11 rolled insulation. If we use the blow-in, I would want to put in no more than 4 to 6 inches to allow us to continue using this area for storage. Other options would be to use the fiberglass insulation on the floor or the ceiling. The ceiling is a sloped A-frame. I would appreciate any advice on the best type of insulation and where to put it. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

Insulation will be of some help but it's hard to quantify the results, especially not knowing if the walls are insulated and having uninsulated doors. I would just fill the joist bays with appropriate thickness fiberglass batts. Don't compress the insulation, that greatly reduces its effectiveness.

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 7:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kendog2

Sounds like good advice. Maybe I will check to see if the walls are insulated. I didn't want to make a hole in the wall since it is a nice garage but I guess it is the only way to find out. Thank you for your response, Mike.

Bookmark   May 29, 2009 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
Wayne Dalton i-Drive vs. Belt Drive vs. Screw Drive
Hello All, I am looking to install 2 new garage door...
rogeroh
Sponsored Products
Ilios Floor Lamp by Ingo Maurer
$1,000.00 | Lumens
Leucos | Step LED Recessed Lighting
$517.50 | YLighting
Dinosaur & Airplane Bottle/Sippy Cup Insulator Set
$8.99 | zulily
Fanimation CRL4WH Remote Control Fan & Light with Learn Receiver 3-Speed/Non Rev
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Pleasant Hearth Colby Cabinet Fireplace Screen and Smoked Glass Doors - Sunlight
$479.99 | Hayneedle
Eurofase New Construction Recessed Light Triple Plate
Euro Style Lighting
Sink 2 Strainers 2 Grids Cutting Board)
PLFixtures
Nora Diamond II Blue 4" LED Recessed Retrofit Kit
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™