3 Car Garage with no entry/exit door?

zyoung30May 6, 2009

We recently purchased a new construction home about a month ago. After living here, we realized that we have a 3 car garage with no entry/exit door. Every other house in the development that has been built has one. We have been looking at other houses out of our neighborhood and they all have one. We find it odd that our house with all the extra amenities is missing a door in the garage. Is there some kind of code for this? Should we have the builder put one in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
casey_wa

I am not sure if it is code in your area or not...but I would expect that it could be. My house has a large garage and has an entry/exit door, and our house is 22 years old. Our door is at the back of the garage and opposite of the door going into the house. I think it is a good idea to have another escape route out of the garage. Since all the other houses have this door it makes sense that yours should.

Casey
"Sean McDonagh Racing"

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 9:42PM
bas157

If it is new construction, can you just look at the floorplan of that model and see if it had a door? Maybe they just 'forget' it? If the plan shows it, I would talk to the builder and ask them what happened to the door shown in the plan.

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 10:38PM
sonepi

How funny, I never thought about this before I read your post. Our house, which is 9 years old ,also does not have an exit from the garage except the overhead garage doors. My mother has one in her 50 year old house, but it never even occurred to me to look for that when we were house hunting. Ummmm, now I am going to have to check out the other houses in our neighborhood.

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 12:02AM
mike_kaiser_gw

I had a house, newer construction, with a 3 car garage and no exit beyond the overhead doors. I suppose it met code but in your case, check with your local building code folks. They should be happy to answer your questions and fine the heck out of the builder if he screwed up. ;-)

Generally it's pretty easy to add a door if you want one.

Bookmark   May 23, 2009 at 9:08AM
andrelaplume2

Hmmm....I can see this being nice. As far as an escape, could you not run back into the home and out the front door? Are tehre windows in the garage? In ours. there would be no place to fit a door...

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 3:05PM
bobismyuncle

Is this a detached garage? If so, ever seen a post, "After electrical storm, our garage door openers quit working. How do we get in?"

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 9:48PM
columbusgardener

in our new construction it was an extra that could be added. I never understood having one - it just becomes more more entrance that you need to secure or at least worry about.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 8:38AM
pjb999

I think it's essential for safety, overhead doors fail and jam all the time, and not everyone in all circumstances can lift a door manually (or knows how) if the power goes out.

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 4:04AM
brickeyee

"I never understood having one - it just becomes more more entrance that you need to secure or at least worry about."

If there is a garage door opener you will not be able to open the door without electric power, or access to the inside of the garage to disconnect the door from the opener.

A very few models of openers used to have a key lock in the door to allow disconnecting the door from the opener from outside, but they do not seem very common.

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 1:51PM
don_1_2006

The key lock in the door is an accessory that is readily available and will work with any opener.

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 5:53PM
brickeyee

"The key lock in the door is an accessory that is readily available and will work with any opener."

Not the crappy one previous owner left in my place.

You have to remove a hitch pin to disengage the traveler.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 11:36AM
don_1_2006

Oops sorry. I forgot about that elusive exception to the rule.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Sears GDO does not close
I've searched on the forum without any luck. My Sears...
jerseybob_gw
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Collection Blinds & Shades Cut-to-Width White 2 in. Faux Wood
Home Decorators Collection
Geneva 8 ft. Wood Surface Work Bench - 960001
$741.92 | Hayneedle
Fat Cat 7 ft. Black Pockey Table - Billiard & Air Hockey - 64-1010
$879.11 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Collection Blinds & Shades Cut-to-Width White 2 in. Faux Wood
Home Decorators Collection
Metal & Wood Wall Storage Rack
$79.99 | zulily