What kind of dining table/set is this?

nosoccermomAugust 21, 2012

Could you tell me what kind of table set this is?

I'm a bit stumped that it's only 28 inches high. Are there casters that are missing? Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: another table

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

I like that one! Definitely could use some spiffing up but I bet it's particle board free. :)

It's for sure a dining table, but I don't know about the height. It looks old enough to have had casters or just to not be a standardized size. You just have to sit at it and see if it's comfy I guess.

Not sure the chairs are original to the table--table has square legs and chairs don't seem to, but they look good enough together.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 10:50PM
nosoccermom

Any idea what kind of wood that might be? Also, I wouldn't want to use it with these chairs.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 11:01PM
lindac

Wonderful old oak farm house table....came with casters, would be easy to clean up with some shellac thinner and lacquer thinner....and easy to apply a coat of poly on the top to withstand all you could give it. The chaire no way came with the table....but they sort of work....sort of.
The problem with tables like that is the apron...makes it hard to pull up to without a fairly low chair....as your legs bump.
Go see and sit...
But it's a great old solid table!

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 12:15AM
nosoccermom

Ugh, that's what I was worried about. I almost bought a very similar table, actually loved the lower height ---- until my husband, who's 6'4" mentioned that the table would be all mine because his knees don't fit under the apron. The sellers had lost the casters, and I took a pass on the table.
Where do I get casters? And what kind of casters am I looking for?

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 7:53AM
nosoccermom

Checked with the seller. There's no apron on the extensions, which means that that's where my husband can sit :)

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 10:17AM
lindac

Any hardware store will have casters....ideally that table had old wooden casters....but if you can't find old ones....new will do.
Go get it!! It's a great table.....can't tell for positive without a good look at the table edge....but I would bet big bucks it's solid oak.

Here is a link that might be useful: casters

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 10:56AM
Fori is not pleased

And unlike MY table which also has no apron for the leaves, "yours" has the extra legs so it won't wobble with the leaves in. Great legs.

Hey Linda--do tables stay put when they have casters? Furniture tends to migrate in my house and I'm wondering what kind of trouble something that actually has wheels would get into. :P

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 11:50AM
nosoccermom

Just came back from looking at the table. It was nice with pegs etc. , and, yes, solid oak. However, it was kind of wobbly where the corners connect to the legs. If you look closely, you see an angled corner where the legs connect (with a flowery decoration). They had just hammered small nails in there, which stuck out. i don't know how big a deal it would be to fix that. The angled wood piece was certainly not attached properly anymore, but I don't know what function it had with holding the legs in place. On the inside corner, there were big screws for the legs, too.
Any idea how big a deal it is to fix the corner and the legs?

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 4:41PM
lindac

Tighten the screws.....and reglue those angled pieces...oh yes and remove the nails....they do no good!
It's a wonderful table!!!!...you ought to be able to get $200 to $250 for the chairs...if you want tos ell....and then have someone fix the table for you.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 7:28PM
nosoccermom

Haven't bought it yet because it was REALLY wobbly and one could look through the corners.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 8:53AM
More Discussions
Who Are Reputable Made In America/North American Furniture Companies?
I am looking for great-room/living room furniture for...
mothersnood
how to buy high end furniture online and save?
Is there a guide to buying highend furniture online? I...
LauraOliver
Ethan Allen furniture... comments on quality
We're looking at Ethan Allen furniture. I know it was...
Mercymygft
Living Room Furniture Recomendations
What brands of living room furniture compare to Durham...
tiffany2009
What happens to returned furniture
We recently received a living room furniture and one...
madness76
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™