Garage door opener going crazy

dvermehrenMay 12, 2006

I recently moved into my new home, the garage right below is equipped with a Sears/Craftsman door opener, everything was fine for a month or so, but recently the door suddenly starts opening than closing in the middle of the night or day. It's driving me nuts as I have my tools and my Harley in there and do not like the idea of the gate opening for anyone to walk in when I'm not around.

What could be a possible reason for that? It is at different times no real pattern. Could it be the chipmunks living in the garage next door??????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Don_

The first thing you should do is remove the 2 wires from the wall button on terminals 1 and 2 on the opener. Make sure all the other wires are still connected. This will eliminate the wires and the wall button itself. Sometimes the installer uses metal staples and they cut through the insulation and cause this problem. Sometimes the wall button is bad especially if there have been teenagers who slap it rather than press the button. Give this a try and post back.

Bookmark   May 12, 2006 at 5:36PM
jim1944

I have the same problem. It doesn't seem to be the wall switch. Can outside influences activate the remote?

Bookmark   May 22, 2006 at 1:10AM
Don_

Newer openers have basically eliminated the outside influence. It is usually the wall switch, wiring or mis-adjustments.

Bookmark   May 22, 2006 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™