Termite Barrier

davestexasMay 28, 2011

I'm about to have a 8'x10' wood storage building built in my backyard. 4"x4"PT posts will be used as skids. Those will be on 1.5" concrete pads. I have a concern about termites because the building will not be using PT joists resting on the skids. I'm thinking there should be some physical barrier between the concrete pad and the PT skids?? Ideas, advice? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bubblah

What you're describing is a physical prevention method, but how about chemical one?

A Termidor trench treatment surrounding the entire structure repeated every coupe of years may be a reasonable answer, particularly where you're looking to protect not just structure but also contents. I've never done it, but as I understand you create a 6" trench surrounding the structure, spread the appropriate concentration of the chemical, refill trenches, then spray on the surface and foundation as well.

That would protect you from termites and carpenter ants in theory, and the trench treatment is said to be effective for 3-5 years, meaning if you repeated it every 2-3, and the surface treatment every year, you'd remain free of those bugs.

You can buy 20oz of Termidor concentrate online for $60-70, at one point I determined the concentration I'd need to do a 12" perimeter band around my house and it was about 7oz. Where you'd doing just a wood shed a single bottle may last you 5 years or more.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 7:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davestexas

Thank you for the info on Termidor. I checked it out and it is prolly what I'll use. It's digging the trench that's a problem for me. I suppose I can use my hammer drill and bore 'many' holes. Seems like that would work as good as a trench....

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 7:10PM
More Discussions
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
Moisture coming up through garage floor
House is in South Dakota. Split foyer. Built in 1977...
ohmmm_gw
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
pippit
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™