Taxable municipal TARP const. bonds

nwroseladyNovember 11, 2009

Recently my financial advisor has suggested I invest in some taxable municipal bonds created by local taxing districts to raise money for infrastructure projects under TARP. The bonds pay 6.5-6.75% and are backed by the Federal government, so this makes investment in risky places like CA not so risky. I have a small estate, am retired at 64, and am risk-averse. Does anyone know anything about these bonds? What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mxyplx

Haven't really studied much, just brief skimming over a few places, but I believe the TARP-Muni would cover/pay 35% and the issuing entity the remaining 65%. I couldn't find if the government guarantees the whole bond or just its 35%. I am not certain the concept has been activated yet - has it?

How bond savvy are you? Are these General Obligation or Revenue bonds? In other words what is the source of that 65%?

How much more future government intervention will come along (and it surely will) to retroactively affect this proposed investment? Can you determine independently from your financial advisor if or not it might be wise to let the dust settle on this idea for a couple years?

Last but way from least - What's in this for your advisor? This is a new concept and many advisors will climb on the band wagon......Commissions don'tchaknow.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
Accounting Question
I was hoping there'd be an accounting forum her on...
andrelaplume2
Any advice for a lady whose husband hides $?
I am a widow and used to doing for myself. I have a...
topsiebeezelbub
help!!! advice needed asap for 2nd mortgage
I need to take out $30,000 in equity for desperately...
nene45
Spending Breakdown
My wife and I have tracked our spending over the last...
rjexit5
refinancing a home
Just learned my interest is 5.25 on our home morgage....
victory_tea2085
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™