Sears Garage door wont close

retiredin2001April 2, 2008

Hi ya folks glad to find you all. My Sears gdo all of a sudden wont close. When I try to close it just hums and pauses and hums and stops.. The electric eyes are both lit green. And the led light(on the motor unit) blinks 5X.If I unplug the unit it will work to close it. And I can reopen it fine,but when I try to close it again. It will start to hum again and the door wont shut. Thanking everyone ahead of time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

See if the trolley (the thing the door is connected to) is jamming against a bolt just in front of the motor unit. If it is, get it to close like you do and then adjust the 'up limit.' You will find that adjustment on the side of the motor unit and you need to turn it 3 or 4 turns in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover. That will stop it from opening quite so far and should help. Let us know.

Bookmark   April 3, 2008 at 4:53PM
retiredin2001

Thanks for the quick reply.Called Sears this morning they explained why the led blinks 5X. Its due to the RPM sensor failure.Is that something a homeowner can due.Again thanks for the reply.

Bookmark   April 3, 2008 at 6:03PM
don_1_2006

You can replace it alright but that isn't the only reason that light blinks 5 times. They gave you the short answer.

Bookmark   April 7, 2008 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Allister GDO not closing with remote
Having a problem with my Allister Access 3500 GDO not...
irishh7
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™