High lift Door w/ Craftsman opener?

feciiiApril 18, 2011

I wish to retrofit one of my garage doors to be able to use a car storage lift. I currently have (3) 7ft doors each connected to craftsman 1/2HP belt drive units. (I forget the model #) With a 14ft ceiling in the garage, I really would like to be able to move the opener closer to the ceiling to give enough room for the car lift to operate. Now, I know that I could switch the opener over to a different model, but I sort of like the craftsman remote w/ three buttons and I really do not want to have to carry a different remote. Any comments on can I retrofit this to still use the same opener? And if so, how? Or am I just dreaming?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

I just don't see how this can be done. You will be pulling and pushing on the door at an awkward angle. You might call a local door service company and see if they have done this.

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 3:30PM
feciii

Current: 7' doors in a 12'11" garage.

I was staring at it this afternoon, and measuring heights, angles, weather stripping, etc.. and I thought that if I added two additional panels and move the whole opener and track up the additional 3' 8" (approx.) extend the track up (on the same angle or slightly less), replace the springs and remove the outside door release handle - so it doesn't hit the header - it should be able to pull the door up and back the same amount on the horizontal track - just leaving the last 4' or so vertical above the header.

As long as the springs are for the new door weight - I think it should work. And clearance under the door & opener should be fine for a lift with the upper car facing towards the door.

-Rick

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 4:25PM
don_1_2006

Okay I didn't realize you intended to increase the door height. It is doable then. You can purchase from Sears a rail extension kit for an 8 or 10 foot door.

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 5:13PM
feciii

Current: 7' doors in a 12'11" garage.

I was staring at it this afternoon, and measuring heights, angles, weather stripping, etc.. and I thought that if I added two additional panels and move the whole opener and track up the additional 3' 8" (approx.) extend the track up (on the same angle or slightly less), replace the springs and remove the outside door release handle - so it doesn't hit the header - it should be able to pull the door up and back the same amount on the horizontal track - just leaving the last 4' or so vertical above the header.

As long as the springs are for the new door weight - I think it should work. And clearance under the door & opener should be fine for a lift with the upper car facing towards the door.

-Rick

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 12:13AM
More Discussions
Buy a garage door
Need two 8x7 garage doors. I've narrowed it down to...
hoganjr
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Craftsman Garage Opener Clicks only and LED blinking 5 times
My 1/2 HP Model 139.53641SRT opener clicks to all my...
nosleep
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
Sponsored Products
Lafayette Regency Lever Set - Privacy, Passage and Dummy
Signature Hardware
2nd Avenue Lighting Josephine Eight-Light 28'' Wide Grand Chandelier
LuxeDecor
Custom Amy Wingback Chair
Home Decorators Collection
Christian Ulbricht Santa with Sled in Red Star Ornament - 10-0857
$16.99 | Hayneedle
Bambit 30-inch Bamboo-inspired Table Lamps (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Riedel Boa Decanter
$445.95 | FRONTGATE
AICO Furniture - Palais Royale Buffet in Rococo Cognac - 71005-6
Great Furniture Deal
Malibu 72" Double Bathroom Vanity Set by Wyndham Collection - Espresso Finish wi
Modern Bathroom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™