need help choosing a garage door

ncountyApril 2, 2009

I am deciding between 1)wood versus 2)steel (wayne dalton 9700) versus 3)brushed aluminum with frosted glass. My house is contemporary so the glass would look fantastic but is almost triple the cost at about $8500. Wood doors look great and start at $3500 for my standard double door size with new openers, drive, and installation. I am just concerned about the maintenance factor. would appreciate any thoughts and feedback.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susan3733

I've been looking at garage doors, too, and recently saw some beautiful contemporary style doors on the Clopay website (www.clopaydoor.com). Our home design calls for a traditional wood carriage house style door, but I love the contemporary ones. I believe they're offered through Home Depot, and when I called HD recently for a quote on a carriage house style door, they told me they're running a 15% off special on Clopay doors right now. Good luck!

Susan

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 9:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
delaniemarie

Maintanace is a definite factor with wood doors. There are many manufactures that offer the carraige house look without the maintance of wood. Check out the WWW.RAYNOR.COM. They are offering a rebate on insulated doors and if you get an insulated door you can also get a tax credit.

Don't purchase a door through Home Depot/Lowes. Contact a local dealer. The local dealers charge less, you can get it quicker, and the service is much much better.

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 4:49PM
More Discussions
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
New construction.. Trying to decide on what flooring for garage..
Ok.. So we are building a brand new house and one of...
Jason143NBPD
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™