add center support to antique full bed frame with blocks?

rigelcajAugust 8, 2011

Surely I'm not the first to have thought of this. I recently bought an antique full bed frame. I bought a mattress and box spring for it over the weekend and was advised that it needed center support. Is there any reason I can't just cut blocks of wood to tuck under (and, I suppose, screw to) the wood slats to accomplish that? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

Yes, many beds come this way and I've had to add supports to those that don't. I typically use a 2x2, with a 5/16" hanger bolt in the top, nylon or felt glide on the bottom, and a T-nut set into the slat.

Here is a link that might be useful: How T-nuts work

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 6:58PM
rigelcaj

Thanks. Never heard of a T-nut - cool. Dumb question though: why do I need a hanger bolt and a T-nut? Seems like one should suffice, no?

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 9:41AM
bobismyuncle

The "hanger bolt" is the threaded part -- wood screws on one end and machine screws on the other. Wood screws in the strut and machine screws in the T-nut.

You can get both of these at nearly any hardware store or big box.

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 9:04PM
rigelcaj

Got it - thanks! I ended up without time to shop, so rummaged around the garage and built a truly redneck center support. It's missing only duct tape. Cut 2x4s into blocks, made 4 stacks of 5 blocks (1 stack per slat), ran a 1" board across the top of the stacks, and arranged so that each slat is supported in the center. Only had nails, so that's what I used. It's quite solid, but looks like something a 10 year old would make.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
Tolix for outdoors?
Does anyone have experience using Tolix chairs outdoors?...
Chris 802
Duane Collie - Question, Please!
Our H & M Kodiak sofa, love seat, chair & ottoman...
cindylouhoo
Horchow new chairs
Anybody knows the manufacturer of these chairs? Where...
inna0410
How to add under bed storage?
I love our bed, especially the headboard. Sadly our...
fuzzypawsnewpad
Couch for Big and Tall Guy
What suggestions would you all offer on what to look...
happs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™