reupholstering in NYC without paying an arm and a leg?

janpooAugust 19, 2010

we have an ethan allen couch that's about 15 years old with good bones but it needs to be recovered/new seat cushions. just got an estimate from one place at $1500 for the work + fabric -- they'll need 18-20 yards at $50-200/yard. it's a 90" camelback sofa with rolled arms and three loose seat cushions.

anybody in nyc know of a less expensive option? should i just forget it and toddle over to room and board and get new stuff? advice/thoughts sought and welcomed.

thanks!

-j

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miaochi

A high-impact way to improve or change the look of any chair with a removable seat is to recover the seat fabric. Whether you have pets and children, or just love to recycle old furniture, you'll appreciate this quick refurbishing technique. Somehow, you can also take the old seat cushion apart carefully. Unpick all seams. These pieces will be your pattern for your new cover. Number all pieces and draw a diagram so that you know how to put the new pieces back together. Measure all the pieces to determine how much fabric you will need to recover the seat cushion.

Bookmark   August 31, 2010 at 3:31AM
More Discussions
Tolix for outdoors?
Does anyone have experience using Tolix chairs outdoors?...
Chris 802
crate barrel sofa quality
what can be said about the crate and barrel sofa quality...
kermit_xc
Slats or Boxspring?
Like the title says: Slats or Boxspring to support...
pbx2
Couch for Big and Tall Guy
What suggestions would you all offer on what to look...
happs
Need suggestions to soften my recliner
I bought a recliner from China, construction is fine...
biax
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™