quarter sawn white oak vs. maple floors

ratremApril 29, 2012

We are installing new floors to be finished on sight. We were really leaning towards maple as I wanted something light and not overly grainy. I have now also been looking into white quarter sawn oak on a recommendation from our flooring guy. This is going in a 1920's colonial/victorian house. We do have lots of furniture in darker tones and some rustic looking, but we are modernizing a lot of finishes and floor plan (completely open) and I like the look of old with new.

Our kitchen will have white painted inset cabinets so the oak would look beautiful, but I really wanted to lighten brighten up the space with a light floor, plus the fact that lots of our furniture is heavy (leather couch, dark dining table, rustic pine desk etc)

Can any of you floor experts weigh in on the pros and cons of these two floors. The price is very similar.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gregmills_gw

Ive refinished hardwood floors for over 10 years. And while both maple and white oak have differences its mostly down to color that seperates them. Maple is "harder" based off the Janka rating system used by industry. But dont be fool all wood will dent if something is dropped. But back to color. Yes maple is lighter in natural tone but doesnt accept staining well. It can be done and look good but not as evenly as oak does. Oak is of course darker and also has thicker grains then maple. If you are going natural with the finish i personally like white oak over maple. Maple tends to become too orange as the floor ambers over time.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
We might replace our wood floor with new....
I have 20yr old hardwood floor in our foyer. It is...
cindywhitall
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
How many different types of floors are ok in a house?
We currently have one type of hardwood in the formal...
emma018
Appalachian Flooring made in Canada
http://www.appalachianflooring.com/evershine I have...
cindywhitall
Inexpensive laminate for apt. over a detached garage?
I'm shopping for a laminate for this space, my contactor...
happyallison
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™