time to remodel?

kraftdeeNovember 19, 2008

Hello,

Do you all think it's a good time to remodel? I have no idea what price of material is/was like (flooring, bath tile, etc.) also, cost of labor..has it gone up or down?

Should I wait...

thanks,

Dee the financially unsavvy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
qdognj

as long as you are paying cash, and not financing,i'd do it..I have done several small projects in the last 2 months, and prices are lower AND negotiable...

Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 11:49AM
mulchmamma

Depends on how much debt you have, how secure your job is and whether you need two incomes to survive.

Two income families may have to survive, at best, on one income. With costs rising, it may prove difficult. You can do a lot with very little cash and DIY but 5-15K is a considerable chunk of cash you may need later.

Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 4:20PM
jkom51

If it's necessary to maintain your house or keep it at the same level as your neighborhood competition, certainly.

Otherwise, you should improve only if you are willing to consider the satisfaction of living with what you want, to be a satisfactory return on your remodeling dollars. In today's depressed RE markets, remodeling will not bring you a greater price, although it might make your house more saleable than others in your area. But YMMV!

Good luck.

Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 4:43PM
kraftdee

Thanks for your replies. To remodel would bring our house up to the current market level so what you say makes alot of sense. Thanks to all of you smart people.

Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 9:21PM
More Discussions
Refinance with Bank of America taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R
We started the process for our refinance April 25th...
wickedgrace
Investing for your Future
I'm wondering if most people today hire financial planners...
cmarlin20
Buying a car
I am planning to buy a car, but my credit rating is...
HerscheLL
Experience as a 1-car couple?
We moved into a new home (my first real house with...
ayimera
anyone had trouble getting an Amex card accepted?
I have an Amex card with a very good cashback program,...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™