Best way to use interior designer

tanemAugust 9, 2009

We are building a new home and our architect is helping with the finishes. It's a minimalist style home and we are very happy withhow it's turing out. We will not to order quite a bit of furniture the beginning of the year. I would like to use an interior designer for furniture layout, design and color. Should I buy furniture through the designer? What are the advantages of doing so. My architect can have custom things made and will not charge us anything in doing so. thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
publickman

It will depend on the designer you use. If you do not want to buy through the designer, then you will have to work that out ahead of time and pay a fee for the design work. Many designers make most of their money on commissions, but if you want the architect to contract custom furniture, then you may want an interior designer to design custom furniture for you, which I think is a good idea for the minimalist style. While I was trained as an interior designer, my current profession ( and for the past 19 years) is furniture designer, and I designed furniture for my own house as well.

Typically, the fabrics available to an interior designer will not be available for retail, and so you might want to order window treatments and upholstered furniture through the designer, to make sure that the colors coordinate and also to give yourself more choices.

I don't know what city you are in, and so I am not aware of what custom furniture shops are available to you, but an interior designer can order custom furniture from custom furniture companies, such as the one I work for now. Almost all of our clients are interior designers, although we do get a few architects, and on occasion we will sell to end users, but those are very special situations. If you want custom furniture, then I think it is best to buy through a designer. If you want to buy through your architect, then you should look at a portfolio of his previous work regarding custom furniture. In general, an interior designer will have much more experience with furniture than an architect.

Bookmark   August 10, 2009 at 3:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tanem

Thanks so much for the info.

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Omnia leather furniture
We have seen a sofa by Omnia that we like - for around...
Susijo
I want to make a sofa box cushion the right size.
I have two sofas, that I would like to re-upholster....
pisley
Kitchen Table Repair
Hi. My kitchen table has a crack in it and I was wondering...
marc83
Bernhardt vs. Thomasville for leather.
Thinking of getting a leather sofa for its durability....
Sparks72
How to add under bed storage?
I love our bed, especially the headboard. Sadly our...
fuzzypawsnewpad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™