Free Credit Report

mare_wbpaNovember 1, 2007

I was wondering if any of the online "Free Credit Report" offers are legitimate and if so, which ones? I'm reluctant to give the personal info needed to get the report if this is a scam. If these aren't on the up and up how would I go about getting my report?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myfask

mare
The one we use is
www.annualcreditreport.com

This is also the one many of the experts recommend
The credit reports are free, if you want your scores it is a few dollars.
If you don't know or haven't check your score in the last 2 years it might be a good idea to spend the few dollars.

I know a few folks that said "I pay my bills on time so I have a good score" imagine their surprise when it was low.

knowing your score can help if you are looking for a loan you can tell the lender "based on this score what would the rate be?"

Bookmark   November 1, 2007 at 8:57AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

below is a link to some great info too. It also includes the link to get the reports.

Here is a link that might be useful: Federal Trade Commission-Facts for Consumers

Bookmark   November 1, 2007 at 10:48AM
moonshadow

I use annualcreditreport.com as well. No gimmicks there.

If you want to monitor your credit several times a year you can do it there for free.

Example: get a report from Equifax now. Free.
Get a report from TransUnion in 4 months (still free because you're entitled to 1 free report per year from each of the 3 credit bureaus.
4 months later get a report from Experian.
4 months later you are starting year #2. Repeat the cycle starting with Equifax again because by now it has been 1 year since you got your 1st report from Equifax so it's free again. ;)

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 1:02PM
dave_donhoff

Hi Mare,

Checking your credit on a scheduled regularity is just as important to your safety & wealth as having dental & physical checkups is to your health.

You can get your basic account reports for free directly from each of the three major bureaus (Transperian, Equifax and Experian.)

You'll want to get a full tri-merge report that includes your actual credit scores (3 total per person, one from each bureau,) and the 'reason codes' (4 per score) that detail why each score is calculated as far below the perfect 850 as it is. These are basically only available through a mortgage loan officer (usually a broker,) so having a good relationship there is a healthy/wealthy idea.

Luck!
Dave Donhoff
Strategic Equity & Mortgage Planner

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 1:14PM
mare_wbpa

Thanks to all of you for the excellent information and advice. I sincerely appreciate it.

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
Private College Savings - How much is enough?
We have approximately $62,000 saved in a 529 plan for...
RealHousewifeofNJ
Here's a question for those who pay with cash
It happens occasionally, I'll be in a checkout line...
SnidelyWhiplash
Home Loan advise? Remodel and Addition
I am looking into a renovation/remodel of my current...
allieundercover
help!!! advice needed asap for 2nd mortgage
I need to take out $30,000 in equity for desperately...
nene45
Experience as a 1-car couple?
We moved into a new home (my first real house with...
ayimera
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™