ventilation in my workshop

manu01April 4, 2006

I am in the final process of setting up my workshop in a shed. The electrician is coming on the weekend to wired the place and I need to decide what kind of exhaust/ventilation I want. Couple of people suggested I will be fine with a couple of regular bathroon exhaust on both side of the shed. The shed is 9'x 13'and I will mainly use it for my hobby - stone carving. I am planning to leave the doors open as much as possible for additional ventilation. Any suggestions about a particular exhaust fan? Does the luvers need to closed when not in used?

thank you,

Manu01

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
formulaross

Bathroom fans wouldn't work for me in my workshop, but in the summer it can get pretty hot and humid here in central Indiana. I've used an old furnace blower either sitting on the floor or hung from a ceiling joist and aimed directly at me to cool me off! Just wired it to a heavy cord and plugged it into a wall outlet.

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 7:55AM
dab07

i did some research on dust collection for a wooodworking shop. i don't know how translatable the systems are, but you might want to check out a very extensive site i found: you can google "bill pentz" and get more info than you bargained for. the bottom line is, stone dust (and wood dust) can be bad news for your lungs, so it's worth making sure you're as well protected as possible.

good luck!

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 8:07PM
rumble_s

What I found to be quite effective is an attic fan mounted on the outside wall. I picked one up at Home Depot along with louvers for outside. It has a temperature sensitive switch which I bypassed. I wired it to a wall switch. So when I have too much dust or paint fumes I open a couple of windows on the other side of the shop and turn on the fan.

But I would not recommend this as your only dust removal. In my wood shop I have a central vac with pipes running to my floor tools and a ceiling-mounted dust collector as well.

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
Craftsman Garage Opener Clicks only and LED blinking 5 times
My 1/2 HP Model 139.53641SRT opener clicks to all my...
nosleep
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
Sponsored Products
Monterey Mosaic Malaga Four-Light Semi-Flush
$289.99 | Bellacor
Candelier Ceiling Fan by Casablanca Fan Company
$5,999.00 | Lumens
Rodeo Drive Floral Wool Area Rug - 2' x 3'
Grandin Road
Da Vinci Semi-Flushmount by Schonbek Lighting
$4,389.00 | Lumens
Sonneman Puck 12" Surface Ceiling Light Fixture
Euro Style Lighting