Sear garage door opens and closes by itself

vawhitApril 21, 2011

I just replaceed an older (20 years) Sears garage door opener because it had developed an annoying habit of opening and closing by itself, almost always between 0100 and 0300 in the morning.

Discussing the problem with a Sear repairman, he stated the older models use a lower MHz remote frequency that could/would react to anything near it in the frequency band and recommended that I get the new digital unit. So I did and installed it two weeks ago.

Well last night at 0200 it opened about six inches by itself. Normally the old door opened wide. so this perplexes me.

I wonder if it could be powerline (from the power company) signal could initiate this. I know they send control signals over the power lines to control their equipment. If so, would a power line filter stop this.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

The most common reason for this is a bad wall control or the wiring to it. I hope you changed both of these items when you installed the new opener. Staples can cut through the insulation of the wiring and cause a problem. At one time there was some talk of the electric companies use of a radio to read meters causing problems with openers. Haven't heard anything lately so this may have just been a rumor.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Allister GDO not closing with remote
Having a problem with my Allister Access 3500 GDO not...
irishh7
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
pippit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™