Campton Office armoire - possible to refinish? Or who is vendor?

dandylandyAugust 27, 2012

Hi,

I have been hunting for a computer armoire that will hold files, a printer, large monitor, and a shredder (will put the shredder where the PC tower slot is, since I have an all in one desktop.)

Pottery Barn has a great option - I really like the layout and the size, and the price isn't too bad ($1619 on sale now, normally $1799.)

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/campton-office-armoire-ming-red/?pkey=cdesks-home-office

The problem is the color choices - they only have "ming red" or "desa mocha" (which is almost black) and both of those options are distressed.

I called them to see if the other colors (pictured only in the "wood swatch photo" are available but they are not and the rep could not tell me if they ever would be. It isn't clear to me why they even show the wood swatches.

In any case, I am hoping that someone here can tell me either:

1. Who manufactures this for Pottery Barn? If I knew the vendor, maybe I could find a similar computer armoire in a better color from a different retailer.

OR

2. How hard would it be to make this thing white?

The description says "Hand finished in lacquer that is distressed and weathered for a timeworn patina." f

Can that be sprayed over? Or sanded or liquid sander applied and then paint?

I really would like it in white. Also, would that look awful with the distressed finish.

Our furniture is modern and we have nothing else distressed.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Campton Smart Office computer armoire

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmanbike

This workspace solution begs the question; where do you put your feet?

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 11:45AM
dandylandy

Hi rmanbike, the keyboard tray pulls out, so your feet are under that - meaning, you are sitting about a foot away from the main unit, with the keyboard tray pulled out over your knees.

That may not be enough room for a tall person or a person who spends many hours at the desk, I agree, but for our purposes, it is fine.

Anyone know who might make this or if it can be successfully repainted?

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 12:24PM
rmanbike

Its possible but not a good idea, depending on the type of finish, NC Lacquer or a water-base polyurethane.
Actually best to ask this in the wood working forum, I think their are more experts their than can provide some help with about this.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 9:49PM
dandylandy

Thanks, the woodworking forum did not even occur to me!

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 11:46PM
More Discussions
What experience have you had with Nantuckit Furniture?
Hi! I am thinking about purchasing a slipcovered sectional...
jfkdeb
Furniture help
Hello My boyfriend and I just moved in and we really...
Penny Dimitrakaki
Need suggestions to soften my recliner
I bought a recliner from China, construction is fine...
biax
Couch for Big and Tall Guy
What suggestions would you all offer on what to look...
happs
Slats or Boxspring?
Like the title says: Slats or Boxspring to support...
pbx2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™