18x36 sport pool pump

bobdigitalApril 7, 2014

I have a quick question around pump size. I have an 18x36 sport pool, with 3.5' shallow ends and 6' deep end, with each representing a third of the pool area. We also have a hot tub running off the pump as well. The pump is located approximately 10 feed from the pool and 15 feet from the hot tub. Our calculations for the pool put us at 21,000 gallons, needed 45 gallons per minute. The old pump no longer works, hasn't been running since we bought the house last year and I think is undersized at 3/4 HP. We are getting a new liner installed so I have no experience with how well the 3/4 pump performed.

I am looking at a 2 speed pentair whisperflo. My question is: do we need 1.5HP, or should we be looking at a 1hp?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

Though I haven't looked at the performance data and curves on that pump, based on the 50 GPM that I'm getting from a 1 HP StaRite, I'd go for the 1.5 HP.
There are also other factors such as piping size and routing and the filtration system used. It doesn't hurt to pump faster than the minimum requirement as long as you have the proper anti-entrapment measures in place.
JMHO

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 9:07AM
More Discussions
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Easy to use Backpack Blower Storage
I have been keeping my backpack blower on the floor...
blakeas
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
Sun shines on sensor....
...and garage door will not stay down! Anyone have...
phoggie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™