Craftsman garage door opener problems

magilla_53April 21, 2008

I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage door opener, 3/4HP model 139.53990D. The door will open about a foot and then quits. I believe the obstruction sensors are working properly and there is no obstruction. The light sensors work and stop the door if there is an obstruction. I manually assisted the auto opener and the door will open to normal height. It will come down properly but only open a foot. This opener has built in diagnostics and no errors have been detected. The garage door is a nine year old Wayne Dalton sectional with the Torquemaster spring system. I checked and the springs are not broken and are set to mfg. specs for tension. Help?

Thanks, Terry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

On the rear of your motor unit you will find a control labeled 'up force'. Increase this and try.

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 3:29PM
magilla_53

PERFECT! The up force control seems to have cured the problem. I had to increase it almost to max force to get the door to open but it is doing the job. I'm not sure why it needed add'l adjustment but problem solved.
Thanks again don 1 2006 you saved me a service call.

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 6:22PM
reesing

I have a Craftsman 1/2 hp that is just over a year old. The last two nights when I came home my garage door wouldn't open with neither of my two remotes or the wall control (the green light was off). But each of the following mornings the garage door opener worked again. Can someone give me some advice as to what can be happening. Thanks

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 4:26PM
lzanelli

I have a Craftsman 3/4 hp garage door opener, model 139.53990D. One of the two lights no longer works, it is not a burnt out light bulb. Suggestions?

Bookmark   February 16, 2015 at 12:33PM
More Discussions
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Keyless lock for manual garage door?
I have a two car garage with separate manual lift garage...
mrpandy
Sponsored Products
Bath Authority DreamLine Visions Frameless Sliding Shower Door and SlimLine Sing
Modern Bathroom
'Pineapple' Coir Outdoor Door Mat
Overstock.com
23266 Outdoor Pendant by Eurofase
$62.00 | Lumens
Westinghouse Wall Mounted 1-Light Textured Black on Cast Aluminum Exterior Wall
$38.51 | Home Depot
Fresca 84 Light Oak Double Sink Bathroom Vanity w/ 3 Cabinets & Sinks
Hudson Reed
24" Doba Bamboo Medicine Cabinet
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for: