Craftsman 1/2 hp Garage Door Opener Behaving Strangely

krobApril 11, 2008

In my first attempt at GDO repair, I had to replace a worn out drive gear. After getting everything back together, I was having trouble getting it to stop before the trolly would hit the opener. It seemed as if the limit switch wasn't working, also seemed like the center limit contact was moving away from the contact it was supposed to be moving towards. So I switched the wires connected to the up/down contacts around and that seemed to do the trick. Only I forgot to check the reverse safety sensors. A couple days later, I noticed that the safety sensors are only tripping when the door is moving up. So the door will reverse from up to down when you walk under it and trip the sensor. Not too safe!

Just seems like the motor is turning backwards? Is that possible? I tried taking the drive gear back out, flipping it over and reinstalling, but no luck. I have also put the limit switch wires back in their correct positions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

The only thing I can imagine is if you had the chain off and put it back 180 degrees off. This would cause the symptoms you describe. If you stand under the motor unit facing the garage door the chain should connect to the trolley on the left side of the T-rail.

Bookmark   April 13, 2008 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Custom Wood Garage Doors
Does anyone know or have experience with wood garage...
linda_1010
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™