pre-wire for garage door

sprint23April 10, 2011

I'm in the process of building a house, and I want to pre-wire the garage for the garage door and opener. How do I go about doing this. I've read a couple things on the internet, and I want to make sure I've got this right. 1 wire from right side of garage opening, 1 to left side (both for sensors), and 1 wire to wall for opener, all ran to box in ceiling above where motor will be. Does that sound right? thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

Yes it does sound right. The wiring for the door sensors and the wall control is color coded and the color code must be followed for everything to work properly. The colors depend on the manufacturer. If you have decided on the opener you are going to install you should contact the dealer and see if you can order the correct wire.

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 4:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"The colors depend on the manufacturer."

You can use any color code you want as long as you are consistent. The electrons do not care about insulation color.

There is no reason to have boxes for the control wiring.
It is power limited and requires very little in the way of protection for safety.

You will need a 120 V receptacle on a circuit with enough capacity in the ceiling near the unit's location.

Unless the garage walls are to be finished with drywall, outside of the 120 V outlet there is no real reason to do anything ahead of time.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Shop vacuum
Are there any good 12 -15 amp shop vacs that have 1200-1500...
randalls1
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™