Craftsman 1/2 hp GDO won't move more than 4 inches

rotaryboyApril 26, 2007

The model# is 139.535006 (no sensors, really old) and the issue started when the door would only move up and then down 4 inches, then stop. Now the motor just "clicks" and the door wont move at all. I can screw the motor shaft by hand (chain is off) to the middle of its cycle and occasionally the gear will turn until it reaches the top or bottom. Once it hits the top (or bottom) limiter it will do nothing if pressed again...the motor just clicks or only moves a fraction of an inch. I have swapped both rpm sensor board and logic board with my other working unit to no avail. BTW I replaced the worm gear/sprocket years ago and it has been fine. I think what may have started all this is me shutting the door on a bucket and the door reversing itself???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doorguy06

If you eliminated the circuit board and rpm sensor as faults then the only thing left is the motor. If this is doing this even with the door disconnected then I would opt for a new unit for the motor is going to run you around 100 bucks itself and that is if you can find one that old.

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 8:19AM
vickie44

I did not post a problem but on reading your answers I solved my problem with my sensor being out of line. I was about to go buy a whole new opener so thanks for being here and saving me money. Now I can brag to my husband that I fixed the opener!!!!!!

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 4:35PM
don_1_2006

vickie, good for you! That's why we are here.

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 4:39PM
doorguy06

vickie, make sure you rub it in good too. Especially if he tried fixing it. Glad we could help.

Bookmark   April 28, 2007 at 4:21PM
rotaryboy

I'm still stumped as again yesterday the door completed its down cycle but once it hit the down limiter wouldn't go back up. If the motor is bad I would think it wouldn't move at all. I swapped the starter capacitor too...no difference. I really don't mind buying a new opener except the Homelink in my older car ('97)doesn't work with rolling codes, right?

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 8:51AM
More Discussions
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™