Is an insultated garage door worth it to keep out heat

james_444March 9, 2013

Hello,

I live in Mesa Arizona, an adjacent city to Phoenix. As you may of heard it gets a little warm here in the summer like over 110 degrees. I'm going to replace my 1978 single piece steel garage door. My house faces west and during the summer the sun beats on the steel garage door and turns the attached garage into a dry sauna. It's hotter in the garage than it is outside even though outside may be over 115 degrees. The heat bleeds into the house in spite of insulation in the garage walls and pushes up my air conditioning bill.

Every article I've found talks about insulated garage doors and cold. Cold is not my problem. Any suggestions as to the best insulated garage door for heat?

I was thinking of a polyurethane sandwich style door. My reasoning that even if the door leaks air around the edges it will still be better than what I have now. I am aware that the R values quoted by manufacturers are not consistent since some use the center of the panel and very few, if any, test the whole door.

I've already put in Energy star windows and doors and had extra insulation blown into the attic. I have dropped my utility bills by over 35%. I've also installed ceiling fans which help a lot.

So in my particular case is an insulated door worth the extra cost? Does anyone have any experience with a particular brand?

Suggestions anyone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Installation only slows the movement of heat, it does not stop the movement.

Given the 365/24 exposure of the door it is not likely to make much difference without HVAC.

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Custom Wood Garage Doors
Does anyone know or have experience with wood garage...
linda_1010
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Keyless lock for manual garage door?
I have a two car garage with separate manual lift garage...
mrpandy
Sponsored Products
Bellaterra Home Bathroom Durham TR 32 in. Single Vanity in Ebony with Natural
Home Depot
Colonial Crest Knob Set
Signature Hardware
Kichler Ralston 10 1/2" High Black Outdoor Wall Light
$70.00 | Lamps Plus
Plum Shantung Grommet Window Panel - Set of Two
$44.99 | zulily
Cambridge Harbor Gray Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets