Workshop Floor-wood or concrete

emmettacresMarch 23, 2006

My husband is designing his new workshop and would like other's opinion on whether to install a wood floor or concrete. A single car garage will be attached at one end seperated from the workshop by a set of double doors. This floor will be concrete. He plans on moving wood into his shop and finished projects out of his shop through the garage so doesn't want a step up. Either way he does have link together rubber mats to lay down on the floor around his equipment. He has cracked both his heels, at seperate times, so standing for a long period on concrete isn't comfortable. Thanks for any comments.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

I would almost kill to have a wood floor shop again.

Bookmark   March 26, 2006 at 5:22PM
rumble_s

With our last house I had a detached workshop out back with a concrete floor. In our current home the workshop is built over the garage, so it has a wood floor. I did not skimp on the structure - the frame is 11-1/4" I-joists on 12 inch centers (I wanted to make sure it could handle the weight of the tools and not deflect). The sub-floor is 3/4" plywood and there is another layer of 3/4" plywood (sanded) on top of that.

All things considered, I MUCH prefer the wood floor. It is warmer and easier on my feet and legs. If I drop a drill or router bit they aren't ruined. If I want I can run power up in the middle of the room.

The only down side I can think of is wood glue. I have to make sure I spread newspapers under where I am gluing or the glue drips on the wood and hardens/adheres. But I can get rid of the lumps with a floor scraper.

I would absolutely recommend he go for the wood floor if he can swing it.

Bookmark   March 28, 2006 at 8:41PM
graydawn

I have a plywood floor in my shop. How should it be finished? I do not care about appearence, but want low maintaince for easy cleanup.

Bookmark   March 29, 2006 at 3:47PM
harper

We're in the process of building a shed/workshop. It sits on brick piers about a foot off the ground. So far there's only a plywood subfloor. Are you talking about just keeping the plywood for flooring or adding something on top of that?

Harper

Bookmark   June 18, 2006 at 7:53PM
More Discussions
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
pippit
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
Need help diagnosing Chamberlain Garage Door Problem
Hi, Have a 1/3 Chamberlain Liftmaster that started...
koalb01
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™