Repaired Sears garage opener still not working

quest88March 23, 2006

When my 1/3hp Sears chain drive opener stopped working I realized a metal bushing was gone and replaced it. Now the motor and shafts spin free again. I also replaced the plastic gears which were in the kit. However, now the door will only go up six inches and then immediately go back down six inches. The limit controls seem to be set fine and the door is not binding. I am wondering if the circuit board could be messed up as we had lightning the day it stopped working. However the other garage door opener in the garage works fine. I have unplugged the unit for an hour and the manual gives me no other ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Don_

Disconnect the door from the opener and lift it manually. In fact ask your wife to lift it. I think you have repaired the results of a door problem. I know you said the door isn't binding but I am concerned with the weight of the door. It really isn't normal for the door to stop after a few inches on the way up and then reverse. This is a symptom of a very heavy door.

Bookmark   March 24, 2006 at 5:40PM
quest88

thanks Don for the followup. I thought about the heavy
door issue to, but the opener acts this same when even when
I disconnect the chain from the door, so I am sure it is the opener. It has been working well for about 20 years.

Bookmark   March 25, 2006 at 9:20AM
sooner4ever

I also replaced the gears in my opener and its doing the exact same thing. It goes up about a foot the goes back down. I know the door isn't too heavy because it worked for 5 years. I also disconnected the door and the bracket only travels about a foot then goes back. Anyone know what else I should try?

Bookmark   April 9, 2006 at 6:15AM
Don_

Loosen the chain so you can remove it from the small sprocket on top of the motor housing. Run the unit until that sprocket turns counter clockwise and then stops. With the door in the open position replace and tighten the chain. You will probably have to make minor adjustments on the up and down limits on the side of the unit but this should get everything in sync again.

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 11:53AM
More Discussions
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
Sponsored Products
Weathercraft Designers Choice 3-piece Adirondack Chair Set - 500-101KD-CMB-D
$308.98 | Hayneedle
Grid Cage Rust Outdoor Wall Mount
$48.60 | Bellacor
White & Pink Three-Bin Storage Shelf
$38.99 | zulily
Yosemite Home Decor Wall Mounted Merili Collection Wall mount 1-Light Outdoor
$34.20 | Home Depot
Fanimation DR Downrod - Chrome - DR12CH
$24.95 | Hayneedle