Help With Trust IRA

vipldyOctober 14, 2004

Our parents have both passed in the last year and they had a trust naming me and my brother trustees and Beneficiaries. The problem is our lawyer has spoken with the lady at the bank reguarding Dad's IRA and says we can split the IRA in half, we have to take his distribution amount this year but after that we don't have to touch it till I am 59 1/2. He calls it defering it.

My brother called the same lady and told him we could split the IRA in half and take the distribution as my Dad would have but also we have to take a yearly distribution going by the oldest age which is me.

I know you have to be a spouse to roll a IRA over to another. My Dad titled the IRA in his name and the trust is the beneficiarie. I am a home maker and my brother has a very good job. What can we do here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cowboyind

I do not see the difference between what you were told and what your brother was told. The website below has a tremendous amount of detailed information on Roth IRAs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roth IRA Information Website

Bookmark   October 18, 2004 at 5:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gina_in_fl

Trusts are EVIL. I've had to deal with two of them in the last three years, and one of them will still have to be dealt with.

I think IRA
thingees kinda die at death if the bennies are under-age. But maybe again, maybe not,,,,,, not real up on IRA's since all of my Trustors were before that time period.

Bookmark   December 5, 2004 at 2:26AM
More Discussions
I NEED to vent!
I am so UPSET Just received a notice from my credit...
KarenPA_6b
Tiny pension - Taking lump sum or monthly annuity payment
I just received a notice from a previous employer asking...
azmom
Private College Savings - How much is enough?
We have approximately $62,000 saved in a 529 plan for...
RealHousewifeofNJ
anyone had trouble getting an Amex card accepted?
I have an Amex card with a very good cashback program,...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Evicting
Don't know where to post this specifically. The thing...
Curt D'Onofrio
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™