Old solid wood vs New Engineered wood

RachanaApril 12, 2013

Hi,
We are in the rpocess of remodeling our house we just bought. It has 5/16" red oak solid hardwood in 3 bedrooms. However the living and family rooms are carpet, laminate respectively which we want to remove.
We are now deciding between 2 options:
1) Refinish old hardwood in bedrooms and install matching solid wood in living/family rooms. Will cost us $7000
2) Remove all flooring and install engineered wood throughout. Will set us back $9000.

Our contactor is pushing for option 2 since he thinks the current wood in the house is anyways not great quality to keep. But I believe solid hardwood might get some advantage during resale. How difficult is the maintainence of either with a small kid.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedyacres

Definitely the solid hardwood. It's more appealing AND costs less.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 5:34PM
pscott1455

The old will be finished right at your home. This will take longer and be messier. But the results will be terrific. No grooves between boards (crumb catchers), the exact color you want with the finish you like. The existing floors will have great character and look great once refinished. Just be sure to match the species of wood: red or white oak. We selected traditional oak flooring finished in our home.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 11:08AM
ruthie51

We have engineered wood floors and while they look pretty, you can't drop anything on it without denting. Also, bear in mind that you are limited to how many times you can refinish an engineered floor depending on the thickness.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 5:07PM
jfcwood

It really depends on two things. How bad is the old Oak and what engineered wood was priced?

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:16AM
UniqueWoodFloor

I wonder if you can even sand and refinish a 5/16" thick solid wood. Can you share the total sqft of your 3 bedrooms and total on living and family? What will be the cost/sf for the new engineered wood option?

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 11:48AM
jfcwood

I missed that first time around. It's probably safe to say that the contractor is right about the existing 5/16" thick floor. The next question would be what engineered floor is being priced for install.
If you have wood subfloor you might consider something solid prefinished like Columbia Congress Oak.

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
Chinese Hardwood Flooring - After Lumber Liquidators & 60 Minutes
Wondering how folks are now feeling about buying imported...
Ken Fisher
Brazilian Cherry with infloor heat, rug or no rug
We just got our in floor heat installed in the sunroom. Hoping...
sewwhatsnew
Anyone used the Dream Home laminate from LL?
My boyfriend is remodeling his kitchen and we are most...
kitchenlover
Advise with flooring?
Hi, I need some advise with flooring. I have a spare...
galinas
LVP plank and tile flooring pulling apart at seams.
We installed a LVP this spring into our new addition....
moledro
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Elegant Kashan Coffee/Beige 8' x 11'
Home Depot
Accents Provence 23 1/4" Wide Distressed White Bath Light
Lamps Plus
Elk Lighting Butterflies Foraging Bookends - 91-4504
$62.00 | Hayneedle
Colonial Leather Magazine Tote
$249.00 | FRONTGATE
Fabric Dome Shade Wooden Candlestick Table Lamp
ParrotUncle