Has anyone used concrete stain on their garage floor?

razorback_rnMarch 23, 2006

Our new house is almost dried in. We were planning on painting the garage floor w/ the epoxy type floor paint system w/ the paint chip sprinkles but we have heard mixed reviews from the various people we have talked to and our GC highly suggested staying away from such a product.

The other option out there is concrete stain. We've read different articles where people have installed the stain using a garden sprayer to get a mottled look. This kind of appeals to us b/c it's made to look imperfect which will help hide spots and such.

Has anyone done this?

The only other option that we can come up w/ is the roll on type of polypropolene floor liner. We aren't crazy about this option.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maryland_irisman

You'll have to use something designed specifically for garage floors. I've seen where folks have painted the floor with oil based enamel deck paint. On a hot summer day after driving (tires hot) pulled into the garage and the paint stuck to the tires and the paint peeled up as they drove off the next time out!!!

The epoxy is good on a cured, dry and very clean floor. If the finishers put a smooth finish on the floor, getting anything to stick for long, is a challenge.

I too, like the look you're going for but wouldn't want to give my approval from what I've seen. I hate oil spots and tar marks from my cars and trucks on the garage floor. I use gunk engine cleaner and a rag to clean them up right away. There's a magazine a friend subscribes to called "Improvements" or something like that. They have a pad which can be rolled out that keeps the concrete clean. I've also seen where folks have used composite floor tiles (with a design) and that seems to work (I've seen it in car dealer show rooms). I suspect they would be quite slippery when wet or snow and ice gets on them. Don't use carpet if you can refrain, the catalytic converter could melt or ignite it especially after it gets a little oil soaked.

I hope I helped.

Bookmark   March 26, 2006 at 9:59PM
razorback_rn

Thanks for your insight.

I had this same conversation w/ my father this weekend and his feedback was the same as yours.

We discussed the concrete stain idea and he said that he would worry about wear from hot tires and dropping tools, etc. We even drove to a fairly new, local grocery stores w/ the stained floors that I wanted. They used to look so great but now they are worn and some of the stain even came up when things were dragged or dropped on them.

We discussed composite tiles which we do like the look of but again my father said that they would be really slick when wet. We have a similar thing on our hospital floors at work and they do get very slick when wet.

So those options are out.

Carpet was never an option. We've seen those roll out liners like you mentioned but we aren't crazy about them either.

At this point we are going to look into those plastic/rubber tile things that some companies are selling specifically for garage floors. Otherwise we will go w/ leaving well enough alone.

Bookmark   March 27, 2006 at 3:54PM
racerock

A neighbor of mine was bragging that the concrete stain had held up really well. I questioned him about pulling up with the hot tires. "Not a problem" he said. He also said that he used mats under the tires (very particular person).

I laughed as he sort of sighed when he pulled up the mats, and they were stuck to the stain, and the stain had lifted already (less than a year old).

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 11:28PM
More Discussions
Custom Wood Garage Doors
Does anyone know or have experience with wood garage...
linda_1010
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Sponsored Products
Dutailier Sleigh Glider - Espresso & Velvet Taupe - 61A200-69-3091
$339.00 | Hayneedle
LBL Lighting | Abbey Grande Pendant Light
$416.00 | YLighting
Mohawk Blinds & Shades Dawson Shell 8 ft. x 10 ft. Area Rug white 293956
Home Depot
Aaron Moroccan Microfiber Woven Rug (7'6 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
Emerson Ottoman - Cordova Eclipse Gray
Joybird Furniture
Pilke Pendant 24
Lightology
Chelsea Home Full Over Full Loft Bed w/ Desk & 5 Drawer Chest in Mahogany Stain
Beyond Stores
Grape Harvest Rustic Tiffany Style Stained Glass Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™