replace wood pane with glass pane / insert ?

dragondadMarch 13, 2007

I have two garage door, which is still fully functional, but will like to change its appearance, I like to change top row of wood pane with glass pane / insert.

Is this possible, if so, do you know the garage door glass pane supplier who may sale it. If not, could you give me some suggestions.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

Is this is a wood door with 1/4" flat panels?. If it is you can cut off the interior stops that hold the panels in. Measure the opening and deduct an 1/8" or so from the width and height. Have the glass cut locally. Buy some small molding that is similar in size to the stops you removed. Apply some window glazing to the exterior stops. Insert a glass panel in the opening and gently press it into the glazing compound. Hold the glass in place with those little metal glass holders( forget the name). Local hardware store should have them. Cut the molding and carefully tack it in place. Clean off the excess compound from the exterior. Paint the exterior stops and just cover the glass about a 1/16- 1/8" to seal it from water.
Ron

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 11:33PM
More Discussions
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
Craftsman Garage Opener Clicks only and LED blinking 5 times
My 1/2 HP Model 139.53641SRT opener clicks to all my...
nosleep
Need help diagnosing Chamberlain Garage Door Problem
Hi, Have a 1/3 Chamberlain Liftmaster that started...
koalb01
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™