Help with purchase

emsmamaAugust 30, 2010

Hi everyone, I need some advice, opinions and experiences on budget furniture purchases in the Las Vegas area.

We recently stopped at Bassett and LazyBoy after beginning our search at some lower end retailers. Bassett quoted a price of 1700. for a combination sofa/loveseat (price includes Guardian 5yr stain and warranty plan, delivery and tax). This price is in our range, it's comfy and the warranty is enticing.

Does anyone have experience with Bassett? Are there other furniture makers that are better quality for price, or simliar that are must sees? What things should I be sure to look for before making a final decision?

The set is upholstered in a chenille and the back cushions are attached. The back cushions also are not sectioned, they are encased and the casing is removable for fluffing. We'd be getting it in a light neutral and it will be used everyday and used by my 3 year old daughter.

This set is not my dream set but as a young family we aren't ready for that yet. I'd love to know that we are getting a good product for the money we are able to spend now. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

As someone who repairs and cleans furniture, I can say, I would not buy chenille. Rayon chenille (the most common type), will not stand any contact with water. It exhibits a property called color shift. It's not a stain, exactly, it means the fibers are permanently distorted. From one viewing angle, the wet area appears lighter, from 180 degree viewing, it appears dark, and in the middle it looks more like normal. I have seen this occur even from a splash of drinking water.

What this means is that in order to clean it, you are going to experience this problem. Add to this the light color and cleaning seems likely.

Chenille also tends to mat down in areas of high use (the most common used seat cushion, for example).

Bookmark   August 31, 2010 at 7:58AM
More Discussions
How do I Deep Clean a Filthy Leather Sofa?
I purchased a used leather sofa off Craigslist last...
trofywife
Rove concepts
Hi: I was wondering if anyone has heard about Rove...
chitra0828
Quality Patio Furniture Manufacturer/Type Recommendations
Building new home with outdoor living/patio area. ...
Karen Redding
Does Vanguard Furniture make a quality sectional
Hello. I am agonizing over finding the right sectional...
maggiewp
Upholstery Fabric Durability
I am about to purchase a Lee Industries couch and two...
3kidsonedogandus
Sponsored Products
River Blue Cleo 24" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Lutron Maestro 1-Amp Multi-Location 7 Speed Fan Control White MA-FQ4FM-WH
$52.96 | Home Depot
Dyson Flexi Crevice Tool
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
Area Rug: Bazaar Vis Rust-Ivory 7' 10" x 10' 1"
Home Depot
Rockford Soft Beige Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 10 In. Rug
$233.95 | Bellacor