Best manufacturers of quality couches?

prairiemoon2 z6 MAAugust 9, 2011

Trying to decide on a couch and I want to buy a quality piece that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions for what brands to look at, which to stay away from?

Thanks...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevied

Try

Hancock and Moore
Leathercraft
Bradington Young.

These are all made in the USA. If I were buying, I'd at least make sure I didn't buy a piece made int China.

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 2:22PM
timberframe4us

Masterfield, Braxton-Culler, and Taylor King all have solid wood frames and 8-way hand tied springs. I believe all three are made in NC. They vary in the options that are available, and TK is the higher end of the three.

To my mind, going above the prices in the range of these 3 (unless leather, which I've not researched at all but would clearly cost more) is unlikely to get any additional features that are worth the money. They're not going to clean themselves or move to a new location on command, etc.

Rowe makes their "higher end" line which is a step below these. It has 8-way tied springs, but it has plywood frames. I think that line is called Clayton Marcus, and at least some of those are made in VA.

I hope that gives you a starting point. I just got my new sofa a few weeks ago and am very happy with it. Of course, time will be the true test.

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 6:53PM
soleil65

I recently sat on a Craftmaster sofa at a Thomasville store and was really impressed, and the price was really good. Very comfortable and it came with 5 pretty pillows too.

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 1:07AM
MREDEKER

Look at Smith Brothers made in Berne, Indiana

Bookmark   September 17, 2011 at 2:00PM
Nikkikling

I am in a search for best quality, durable, American made sofas to replace ours. I will avoid at any cost,
lumpy cushions, uneven welts, or microfiber fabric. We live in Texas, and I've realized that some of the NC brands don't have retailers here. Of the transitional/contemporary brands that I have seen online, Rowe, Huntington House, Craftmaster, Sherrill, Vanguard, and Hancock & Moore, have all been recommended by the better furniture stores here. Bassett, Thomasville and Ethan Allen are also contenders but their process of customizing, etc. is all a bit complicated and I dare say overpriced. I look forward to finding the right furniture pieces from a company who stands behind their products!

Bookmark   October 8, 2011 at 4:50PM
dianalo

We bought our Palliser a few months ago and are quite happy with it. You can see it online or in person. We saw some in a showroom but were not told there were other options. We did see that the Palliser ones were well made and I liked the styles we saw but was not quite sure. We went to the mfr site to find out more about the company and get measurements to mock up in our space and then googled the style we liked best to get an idea about price. We were surprised at how reasonable it was online. So, we ordered online and could not be happier. HTH

Bookmark   October 8, 2011 at 11:21PM
InteriorStylist

I highly recommend Bassett. The customizing isn't that complicated - you just need to find the right Design Consultant there to walk you through. I worked for them & they are an excellent company. Also Ethan Allen. I would stay away from Thomasville...the company is having lots of internal issues. Also consider La-Z-Boy & Flexsteel.

~Jeana

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 12:25PM
pat1007

I am very happy with the couch and chair and a half that I ordered from carolinachair.com.

Very well made. Good people to deal with.

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 2:55PM
bluephi1914

To avoid adding another "new post" I was also in the market for a quality sofa.... and found out the hard way that R.T.G is not the place to go and brands such as Ashley, Cindy Crawford, are not up to my quality standards.

Of the Above mentioned brands Masterfield, Braxton-Culler, Taylor King and the others.

How does Jetton or Dallas Furniture measure up?

I am looking for quality and COMFORT if possible. I do not want leather. Two Sofas or One Sectional is fine. From what I was told, Jetton would make a sectional for me for around the price of two sofas.

The Jetton I was looking at was around $1100 for the Sofa or $1999 for the Sectional Made to look like the sofa.

I am in Georgia (Atlanta)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 10:10PM
More Discussions
Quality Patio Furniture Manufacturer/Type Recommendations
Building new home with outdoor living/patio area. ...
Karen Redding
Omnia leather furniture
We have seen a sofa by Omnia that we like - for around...
Susijo
Upholstery Fabric Durability
I am about to purchase a Lee Industries couch and two...
3kidsonedogandus
Can you help me identify this furniture maker/designer?
I acquired this mid-century table and chairs. Looks...
Julie Fortier
Split Mahogany Furniture
In 2003, I purchased solid mahogany furniture (made...
nszzya
Sponsored Products
Princess Fainting Couch w/ Storage
Overstock.com
Modway Slingy Lounge Chair in Black
Beyond Stores
Dark Bronze Finish Floor Lamp with Glass Tray Table
Lamps Plus
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Floornishings Rugs Suzani Red 8 ft. 1 in.
Home Depot
Percy Leather Sofa - Brighton Polinesia Blue
Joybird Furniture
Darya Rugs Suzani, Black, 5'3" x 7'5" M1760-245
Darya Rugs
Komfy Kings Kids Soccer Goal 3 Piece Toddler Sofa Set - 97072
$143.98 | Hayneedle
Pillow Perfect 'Damask' Throw Pillow
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™