hardwood contrasting banding

elizawhyzaApril 27, 2012

We're having hardwood floors installed and the flooring contractor has suggested that between rooms, we can have a board at each doorway that is made of two narrow bands of dark walnut with a band of lighter oak in between. It looks cool, but my house is colonial in style, and I wondered if doing that is more Victorian.

On the one hand I like the contrast, yet I also think seeing the color of the wood uninterrupted by anything darker is also nice.

Any thoughts? I guess it just comes down to preference, but I'd love to know what others think.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gregmills_gw

Im a professional floor refinisher and worked in lots of both style homes. While the walnut transition border isnt exactly the "style" who cares. If you love it and not a huge added expense do it. Even if walnut is not installed you could still stain the oak to imitate what the walnut would do. Its ur home! Just remember that!

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 8:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elizawhyza

Thanks, I really appreciate your comments. Actually, this was a case of my not being sure I liked it, but not wanting to hurt the flooring contractor's feelings, as they were his idea.

I decided not to go with them when I realized that I really only thought they'd look cool in someone else's house! I have to learn to grow a pair!

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 1:16AM
More Discussions
Any advise? Refinished floor looking horrible
Hello, I am hoping somebody will have some piece of...
mokotes
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
carpet comparison
We are looking at 2 carpets right now. Both are Anso...
sutrotower96
Best flooring for dog who doesn't 'hold it'
Hello Everyone- I am moving into a new house. The house...
krylander
Wood or metal registers for new wood floors?
Hi --we currently have metal vents/registers on the...
bellacucina
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™