basic storage shelf

powieMarch 11, 2008

Hi. I have a two car garage under the master bedroom of my 3 year old home. Ceiling is like 13 feet. Two feet high concrete foundation and then sheetrock I suppose for the wall. Along the back wall of the garage, I'd like to construct a basic raised platform for storage of miscellaneous stuff like kids toys/sporting goods/etc. I'm thinking something very basic along the lines of 4 4x4 pillars topped with plywood or something. Not sure how high off the floor I'd want it; either 4 feet high where I can just reach up and access stuff or maybe 6-7 feet high that might require ladder access. How would I go about securely constructing something of the such? If it's basic enough, not too high off the ground, no overly heavy storage items, and I include some cross-bracing on 3 sides of the frame, could I get away with not fastening the frame to the wall? Another possible feature to add might be a set of stairs from the garage floor to the raised storage area (precut stair joists from HD or Lowes). Thanks.....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie

you would come out cheaper to go buy a storage shelf system. building one strong enough to support stairs and the weight of a person PLUS what is on it would get expense and would require that it be both secured to the wall and anchored into the floor.

Bookmark   March 12, 2008 at 12:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylvanarrow

There are quite a few cool garage storage system options out there, most of which can be installed in a couple hours or less. It's harder to get exactly what you want, but it might be easier in the long run (and safer?).

Here is a link that might be useful: Garage storage shelves example

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™