1/2 HP Craftsman GDO problem

clint23March 25, 2008

I posted this earlier in the wrong spot, this is my first time. I have just completed a worm gear replacement on a craftsman 1/2 hp GDO. After assembly the door will only travel a short distance before going right back to its starting point (with chain on or off). I have adjusted everything on the opener but still have the same result.

Would the RPM sensor have anything to do with this? Safety sensors on the door are working properly as well

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

Make sure you put the black cup back on the end of the motor shaft and that it is pressed all the way on. Make sure the RPM sensor is plugged in. If neither of these are the issue then you probably did not have the motor shaft pushed all the way back when you tightened the coupler after replacing the worm gear. Loosen that coupler and from the front of the motor (opposite end in which the coupler is on) push the shaft back as far as it will go. Hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up and then try it.

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 4:59PM
clint23

don 1 you are the man, the black cup tabs were not in far enough to allow the opener to work properly. Thanks for saving me an expensive call out or replacement opener.

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 3:01PM
rickcraftsman

You are the man It fixed mine to!!!! i owe you a beer!

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 7:22PM
anthonycc

Can you also tell me what is the RPM sensor? Thanks, Tony.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 9:25AM
anthonycc

I just recently replaced the gear on my older craftsman garage door opener and have tried everything to get it to run properly. It will run for 6-10 inches and then stop and reverse itself. Is it possble that the motor has gone bad in it? I have replaced several gears on this unit and have never encountered this problem with the motor running like this, I even took the chain off like you suggested to anther person to try and get the motor to reengage itself. Any suggestions? Tony.
PS. What is the RPM sensor and would my model 53600 have one? Thanks for any help.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 10:05AM
don_1_2006

The RPM sensor is a small circuit board about 2 inches square just in front of the motor.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 10:42AM
More Discussions
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
Allister GDO not closing with remote
Having a problem with my Allister Access 3500 GDO not...
irishh7
Mountain of leaves on my driveway
So I acquired a huge pile of leaves that I used for...
bibbus
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™