After Repair Garage Door Will Not Auto Reverse

cwbrownMarch 20, 2013

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any help. I have a 1/2 hp Craftsman opener on a sectional door. I installed it on a newly constructed home in 2001. It has worked fine for over 10 years.

Last week it quit working and I quickly noticed that the chain had jumped off the sprocket. Upon further investigation I noted that the shaft the sprocket was not balanced. I ordered a replacement kit. After removing the drive I found that a spacer near the sprocket had been completely eaten away. The area around the drive was full of metal shavings.

Replacing the gear was easy but after reconnecting the chain I hit the button. The garage door was driven into the ground to the point that the opener rail bowed upwards. I ran underneath and pulled the emergency release.

Adjusting the limit solved the problem of the door being driven into the ground but the door will still not auto reverse. If I put a two by four down on the floor the door just smashes down on top of it.

I tried adjusting the downward force but even set to zero it behaves the same. My only guess is that the rail or maybe even the trolley was bent and as a result the opener is not "detecting" when the door is hitting something.

The safety IR beam is still functional. If I block the eye the door will auto reverse.

I'm also a little confused as to why changing out the gear drive seems to have changed the limits and created this problem.

Has anyone seen a door that completely fails to autoreverse?

Thank you,
Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

I'd open up the drive unit to see if something is blocking the mechanical switch that detects obstructions.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 1:31PM
More Discussions
Seeking advice on faux wood garage doors
Hello, X-posting in home building forum. I'd like to...
Madeline616
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Shop vacuum
Are there any good 12 -15 amp shop vacs that have 1200-1500...
randalls1
Buy a garage door
Need two 8x7 garage doors. I've narrowed it down to...
hoganjr
Good material to patch potholes in old garage floor?
I have some pot holes in my 1963 garage floor. The...
griz8312
Sponsored Products
GE Outdoor Lighting. Black Motion-Sensing Battery Operated Plastic Spotlight
$25.89 | Home Depot
Original Over-Counter Light by BlackJack Lighting
$250.00 | Lumens
Navy Wisteria Soft Impressions Mat
$39.99 | zulily
Chris & Chris Pro Chef Kitchen Work Station
Overstock.com
Westinghouse Flush Mounts 1-Light Burnt Sienna Aluminum Dual-Mount Exterior
$48.52 | Home Depot