Garage Door wall button opener

hoeandhopeMarch 17, 2009

The wall button to my garage door must be getting worn out. It is old and when I push it, it may or may not open the door. If I fiddle around with it, it will finally open the door. I have bought a new very simple door opener button but do not know how to install it. It has two screws inside and two that mount to the wall. I don't know much about electricity so am not sure if I have to throw the breaker that goes to the garage. I really don't want to have to do that because I am not sure which breaker it is so if I start throwing breakers I will have to reset all clocks, DVD etc to find the right one. Please advise. I would like to take care of this myself instead of calling an electrician.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

Don't throw breakers. The voltage going to that button is so low you cannot even feel it. Attach the 2 wires screw it to the wall and you should be just fine.

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 2:01PM
hoeandhope

Don, Thanks for your solution. I will try it tomorrow with confidance that I won't be fried.

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 8:20PM
hoeandhope

Don, I used your advice and got the wall door opener installed. It works like a charm. Thanks for saving me a bill from the electrician.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 12:30PM
Ron Natalie

The garage door opener almost certainly just plugs into an outlet.

While the voltages aren't high, you'll almost certainly push the button any number of times in the progress and having the door run while you're doing that is a bit annoying.

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 8:36AM
maryland_irisman

Just a suggestion....this coming weekend, why not throw each of your breakers, one at a time and record what circuits they protect? That will make future home maintenence efforts a little easier.

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 4:42PM
don_1_2006

I think she's gone guys. Her problem was solved.

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 4:44PM
hoeandhope

Thanks for the suggestion of taking time to throw each braker and mark it. I had already thought of it and my sister and I are going to do that.

The button was direct wired and did not plug into an outlet. Didn't have any trouble with it making the door go up and down while installing.

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 8:16AM
More Discussions
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
pippit
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™